why its good to have friends

yamaha blaster

Jun 15, 2008
Michigan
So my forks are blown on the yz so I gave a my buddy a text message and he races I said how hard is it to replace seals and said its a breeze so I said ok if I get the oil and seals will you help me and he goes my dad will do it and I am sawweeeettt lol. Then this winter I am gunna sell it and next spring get a crf 250 :).

thats cool that he said his dad will do it for you.

but I would go over and deff help him do it so you know how to do it for the future. It wouldnt hurt to learn how to do it incase hes busy and you need it done now. Plus you could make a few bucks on the side if someone needs it done and they cant do it.

I have a home made seal driver. its a piece of PVC that fits around my forks thats been cut in half. Then I put a hose clamp on it not too tight because it still has to move. works like a charm. ive done 4 or 5 seal replacements between my bikes and my buddy's bikes

Yea I am going to watch cause I'm sure I will have to do it some other time. Its going to be hard because he flyes for the air force or something like that and hes allways gone.

Do yourself a favor and order a fork bushing kit too. I can guarantee you the teflon is worn off them and if you put new seals in with out bushing there gonna start leaking real quick.

Also you can run ATF in those forks, just make sure you use a good synthetic kind like Mobile 1 atf. It works better then The cheap fork oil like Bel Ray and its less expensive.

Ive got a '95 YZ250 and Ive been through all this already lol. And if you got any questions about your bike don't be afraid to ask. I know these pretty damn good. Ive completely rebuilt mine, there isn't one thing left that I haven't had apart on it.
38602_148346291844416_100000071397382_444355_875259_n.jpg

this is what i used to help me do my forks on my 94 kx.

before i saw this i went to my local moto shop and they said $120 to do it. i did it myself for about $40 (only seals and oil, but i wish i would have done the dust seals also now) and for the seal driver i went to home depot and spent a whole $2.50 for a 2 ft piece of 2.5 in pvc pipe and then cut it down to about 6in long. then just cut it long ways. worked great.
and can just wrap tape around the top of the fork instead of buying one of those bullet things

Last edited by a moderator:
If it wasn't for alot of friends I wouldn't have my Blaster done or even started building a Banshee!
Just remember to return the favor in some way ;)