White Smoke continues!

Rtrak

Dec 9, 2012
Nogueirinha, Central Portugal
When I got my 2000 Blaster it had white smoke, I read the forums and replaced both crank oil seals. I gave it a while to burn off any oil in the crank case but it's still smoking, most noticeably when going uphill. I put the crank breather in a jar of water and revved the engine, a small bubble appeared every three seconds or so (not having a leak down tester). I did notice discoloration of the sleeve when I replaced the clutch side seal but assumed that was normal. I'm not afraid of splitting the cases if necessary but wondered if failure of the joint between the cases and transmission is common as there is no sign of oil anywhere on the outside of the engine. Seems strange that the joint should fail to the transmission and nowhere else. Maybe replacing the sleeve on the clutch side would cure the problem?

A real leak down test is needed. You may have a small hole/ crack inside the case from a past piston break. It could be bad new or incorrect installed crank seals.

When I got my 2000 Blaster it had white smoke, I read the forums and replaced both crank oil seals. I gave it a while to burn off any oil in the crank case but it's still smoking, most noticeably when going uphill. I put the crank breather in a jar of water and revved the engine, a small bubble appeared every three seconds or so (not having a leak down tester). I did notice discoloration of the sleeve when I replaced the clutch side seal but assumed that was normal. I'm not afraid of splitting the cases if necessary but wondered if failure of the joint between the cases and transmission is common as there is no sign of oil anywhere on the outside of the engine. Seems strange that the joint should fail to the transmission and nowhere else. Maybe replacing the sleeve on the clutch side would cure the problem?

Bubbles could have been caused from expanding air as motor warms up.

More than likely the collar the seal runs against could be leaking.

I'm not losing oil noticeably but I guess it doesn't need much to form the white smoke. The engine starts first kick and ticks over smoothly. When I took the old seals out they were badly perished and I thought I'd have it sorted by replacing them, after all they were the originals and 13 years old! Until I opened it up to replace the seals, the engine hadn't been opened since it was made. The other thing I wondered, was, how long would it take to burn off the oil leaking into the crank case from before I changed the seals. I find it hard to believe that the joint is only leaking in the transmission and nowhere else. I'm going to make a leak down tester, but will change the collar and bond it as mentioned, does anyone have the part number for the collar? The leak down test should maybe identify a problem with one of the seals or confirm a case seal failure. I want to be riding it, not repairing it!!!!

Thanks for the link, I'll visit the nearest dealer here in Portugal and get it ordered (BikeBandit deliver eveywhere else!), a pain it's a 100 Km round trip and they won't take phone or email orders so two trips necessary. On with the leak down tester build now!