What's your warm up procedure?

offtosleep

May 26, 2013
So what series of thinks do you do when your getting ready to ride? Let it idle for 10 min? Go easy for the first 5 min? Etc

I start it and vary the throttle until the head is warm then take it easy for the first 5 minutes or so. Then I ride it like I stole it!

I start it and vary the throttle until the head is warm then take it easy for the first 5 minutes or so. Then I ride it like I stole it!

That's What I do, but if you have a forged piston and a rechambered head like me, the warm up takes a little longer

I warm it up lightly blipping throttle until cylinder is warm/very warm to my hand, another minute or so (depending on temp) riding at about half throttle then GIH.

Doesn't matter wether Blaster or Banshee.

After starting I blip the throttle until the motor responds well with the fuel enrichment off.

I then put on my helmet and gloves, occasionally blipping the throttle,which takes about 1 1/2 minutes with my fumbly fingers.

I then Granny ride it for about 2 mins, just tootling around in first and second gear until the motor is fully responsive.

Another minute or two with no wild throttle excursions, and then "get up it"

I run a cast piston, if I was using a forged one I would possibly Granny ride for an extra minute.

The idea is to allow the piston to warm up evenly to prevent it expanding ovally.

Another point to mention is that the cylinder being of greater mass, will expand at a lesser rate and want to squeeze the piston.

The cylinder must be at optimum operating temperature before any throttle openings that will produce prolonged piston heating.

I suppose the above is kind of saying, don't "fang" it for five minutes.

Last edited:
i sit on it, blipping the throttle until i can barely hold my hand on the cylinder, fully warmed up before ever even putting it in gear.
then i've got a 1/4 mile or so threw the neighborhood at granny speeds till i hit the trails, then it's on !
i also re-warm it if i have been stopped for a break for any longer than 10 minutes.

I start it up then put my gear on and come back to it turn off the choke and touch the head if its hot to the touch I take off slowly for about 5 minutes then i make sure its really responsive to the throttle then i take off and ride it like it should be rode.

First I want to say I think this is a great topic/thread ... I start her up and lightly "blip" the throttle every 15-30 seconds for the first couple minutes. I then proceed to pack my phone, gas money and spare plugs in a zip lock. I then pack those in my riding bag and put the bag on, taking my time the packing part takes another 3 minutes or so. I then put my helmet on and check the engine temp by hand. After the 5-6 minutes of idling with frequent blips of the throttle I take off and ride through every gear at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle ( no high revs or powerband ) for a minute or two ... I then forget how much rubber costs and proceed to spinnin my tires !

what i do is i vary the throttle from 1/4, 1/2,3/4 throttle and tap it a few times in full throttle and do that for about a couple minutes while im doing that i usually rock the quad back and forth a little to get the tranny fluid going and then i rid it 1st-4 gear varying the throttle pulls then i ride it like i stole it!!