What's up everyone?!

xjma

Hey,

My name is Marty. From when I got my first quad in 5th grade till I went to college, I was very very much into riding, quads and dirt bikes. I've owned quite a few (the list is long), but then when I went off to college my parents made me sell my KDX 200 and TRX 250r that I owned at the time......they were helping pay for college, so I really can't complain. I had also just recently totaled my car...and since I wasn't going to be able to be in college and own an ATV or dirt bike, I bought myself a jeep....street legal, and good for trails! It was all down hill from there.

Fast forward a bit, I just got married this summer (yeah...I'm not as smart as most people give me credit for), I'm buying a house (closing on the 30th) and a good friend needed to get rid of two '00 blasters that used to live at my parents house....another long story. Also, I'm currently the president of a jeep club, own two jeeps, one on 32s with a rear locker, another on 36s, locked front and rear. I work on vehicles and make them fit to beat on...I own a welder.

Anyways, there's your background, I used to be the guy who knew ALMOST everything about pretty much every quad or bike that was out there, fixed everyone in town's quad or dirt bike, just so they could ride with us, but I'm by no means up to date on all of the stuff that has gone on with quads and bikes for the last 7 or so years (which is way more than what went on in the 15 or so years before that!!)!!

So yeah, I just picked up two blasters. They haven't been riden in a while, since last time my brother and his friend crashed them head on into each other in the snow coming around a blind corner in my parent's back yard. One is fine, the other needs an upper A-arm....

Between the two I have one perfect running blaster with not too many hours on it, but original motor. I always tried to tell him to let me throw in atleats new rings...he never went for it. I swapped over the FMF fatty and Powercore II from the one which is suffereing from a busted Aarm, and has like 10 times more (hard)hours on it. I'm eventually gonna get both running nice, but on a budget (I'm about to buy a house, and I own two jeeps, not including my wifes, which is stock). The first one, the one that used to not have the FMF (and hence didn't get beat on as hard, or even ridden so much) started right up after just cleaning the air filter. Again, hadn't been run in over 2 years or so. The other one I"m not even gonna try to start it before putting new rings in it.

If you read this much, good for you, and sorry for being so long-winded. Being the pres of a jeep club and having a forum and such, I just wanted to say hello to y'all and give you some basic background info.....because I'm gonna have some questions!! Thanx in advance for your patience and help!!

One more stupid thing, I'm definitely on the big side for a blaster, 6'2" 220# (yeah, I've gotten pretty fat lately)!! But, I've gotten handed two blasters that won't need too much work to have both of them in tip-top shape. My wife has only once ridden my dads honda foreman....and she wasn't so good at shifting, but I'm gonna teach her how to ride a real quad!! (I'm definitely not a fan of automajic quads)

so yeah, I'm gonna get back to my maintenance on these quads (although I have tons of other stuff I really should be doing) and I'll soon have lots questions for y'all. One being, the block-off plate....I definitely don't want to be relying on a pump to keep the engine lubricated. I'm a fan of mixing, and back when I had two strokes Torco was the oil to use....is that still the case?? Before that I used to use golden spectro, but using the same gas, mixed at the same ratio with Torco, there was much better throttle response and more power!!

So if any of you guys have any service recommendations for these quads that have been sitting (bought new NGKs, but after cleaning the air filter, it didn't take very many kicks to get it started....on the old gas!!). I plan on changing the gear oil, lubing all the pivots, probably removing the swingarm and at-least greasing up the swingarm bearings and the axle bearings if they don't need replacement (they definitely don't have any noticeable play or make any noise).....etc, etc.

Also, where would be the best place to get an upper A-arm? Only from the dealer(stealer)??

How do you guys feel about putting larger tires on and a smaller sprocket to make up for the difference??

I'd LOVE a longer swingarm (so the blaster is more my size) but they seem pretty damn expensive!!

Thoughts on wheel spacers??

Which boyesen reeds do I want?? I'll probably be treating these blaster more like rock-crawling jeeps (yeah, I realize the blaster isn't ideal for this...but it's what I got!).

Thanx again!!

so where's the jeep forum?

www.undergoundjeeps.net

Should be in my profile...didn't want to throw it out there in my first post. I'm definitely not trying to advertise it or anything!!

We're a small club, we wheel mostly private land. You won't find many cool pics because you have to be an official member to get into the good runs section....stupid BS....this is massachusetts, you gotta be careful because people will figure out where your private trails are and start running them without permission!!! Luckily, my family, immediate and extended, owns lots of land.

This is the '99, Q78 TSLs, 4.88s, detroits F&R, Alcan rear leafs, TnT longarms, Bilstein 5150s, etc, etc, etc.
IMG_0792.jpg

It likes to play on the rocks...
DSC02106-1.jpg

DSC02085-1.jpg

Sometimes I even let the wife drive!!

Here's the '96....the more street friendly (or atleast, it's street legal) jeep! It's got stock gears, 32" MTs, skids and armor and such, but still stock bumpers (will change once I move into my house, and take back my welder from my friend), disc brakes on the D44 rear end, aussie locker, armor (not enough)....and I don't even have to know the guy doing the inspection for it to pass!!
Wheelin072008032.jpg

(I figured you guys might like a mud pic....personally, I hate mud, it just wears stuff out more quickly....but there is that peer pressure thing)
maine022.jpg

^poser shot!! Just showing off what 32s and only a rear locker can do!! The suspension, needs a little more attention (read, money). The driver rear is over a foot off the ground. I've been planning on selling this one to get a gas-friendly vehicle for a year and a half or so now...but I just can't part with it!
maine014.jpg

Oh, and those are ford wheels....with a dremel, they can be made to fit a jeep!

Damn...computer is acting up, I'll post a few more, better pics, later....these are mild pics.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Nice jeeps.
I am pretty new here, but I learned almost everything I needed to know within the first week of reading. If you search the topics you can answer almost any question you have, and most have pics.
I give the guys (and gals) here mad props for their helpful attitudes.

I am also pretty new here...I had tons of questions and 90 percent of the time someone else here has done or at least experienced and ca fully help you.....I just rebuilt my whole engine....crank, piston and all....i also did a custom frame and a-arms and swingarm....i have had different pipes on mine and lots more....any questions you can email me at fordsport@cox.net or just leave a pm or suttin Im on the forum everyday! lol peace

nice jeeps. I myself am way into crawling. As for the blastys you would be amazed at what they can climb. I had to they are low geared stock so i had to try. lol this is the right place to come for questions. there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on here, (not all good spellers though...myself included haha) about the a arm or any other parts you will be looking for post an add in the wanted section and check through the for sales.

Quick ? do you ever make it out here to moab? my neck of the woods and awsome rock crawling.