whats going on?

NOVIS

Apr 22, 2009
little hick town in Ontario, Canada
went out for a rip, came back and was letting it idle and it just died, couldnt get it started, tested for spark and had none. so i pulled the stator cover off and it looked alright, no rust or anything i could see. so i tested for spark again and it had spark! so i threw the cover back on and it started up for a quick second then it died again. i repeted this again and once again it died after the cover went on. so i left the cover off and started it and it idled fine? so it seems like when i put the stator cover on i get no spark ater it starts for a quick second? WTF?

no exposed wires where it goes through the cover? or maybe a cdi box, and it just happens to be working along with you movin stuff around

check your stator mount. On those lt's there held on by a bolt. I had one and the mount was cracked causing it to fire sometimes and not fire other times.

Soooooooooo at what point did we pull out the old trusty DVOM and do some tried and true diagnostic work?

Obviously you have an issue with something getting hot and causing the issue with the cover on and with it off its getting the extra cooling it needs to not get hot enough to bring the resistance up causing it to die.

i think there was a bit of oil/water/grime or something behind maybe stopping it from making a good spark. there are no exposed wires. just tried spraying it with some air and a bit of stuff was sitting in the bottom. seems like its running fine now. if it happens in the near future ill tear the entire thing apart.

as far as what budget blaster said. i dont know what DVOM is, therefore im unable to answer your question lol.