What year is this thing?

rstewart412

Oct 8, 2010
I'm new to the forum and to 2 strokes but am already converted to a 2 stroke lover. I just bought a pretty nice blaster that runs pretty good aside from the clutches needing to be replaced soon. I love this thing! I only paid $250 for it so I'm sure I made out like a bandit! Only problem is I can't figure out what year the motor is. The tenth digit on the serial # is a "k". I called Yamaha and they told me the frame is an 89, but the plastics are at least 2003. It is a 6 speed. Are all blasters 6 speeds, or just after 2000? I have to order clutches and don't know the year. Pleeeaaase help!:-/

all are 6 speeds, but for the clutch, it doesn't matter what year it is, they are the same.
there is a sticky thread about how to tell what year your quad is, look it up, i dont feel like finding it right now and it might help you for future reference when trying to search this site for more info.

hey thanks a lot! Is there any difference in price between all the years? i figured if i told them an older year the price might be higher. thats what my local shop does anyway

hey thanks a lot! Is there any difference in price between all the years? i figured if i told them an older year the price might be higher. thats what my local shop does anyway

its one clutch for all years, does it have hydro or cable brakes? thats the major differance, 1988-2002 the were cable brakes 2003-2006 they put hydros on them. looks pretty cool, got any more pics?

dont really wanna sound like an idiot but i have more experience working on cars than quads, but how can i tell the diff between hydro and cable breaks by looking at it?

and i gotta find my camera to take more pics. as far as i know this thing is bone stock. doesnt have a head light, front brake handle is busted, and someone painted the plastics with the wrong paint so its chipping in some spots. they did a decent job with the frame tho. Oh ya the kid took the air intake off and put a little cone filter on it. lol. cant go through the water with that till i put a stock one back on it. i went to a motorcycle junkyard today and got the hose going from the carburetor to under the seat but have to get a filter. Oh yeah i got it home and was riding it for an hour and hit a tree lol so i had to replace a tie rod end too.

oh yeah one more thing. it does have an fmf gold series fatty pipe and a power core silencer on it. i have no idea what the hell they put on it for a grab bar! Whats the diff between a power core silencer and a power core 2 silencer?

dont really wanna sound like an idiot but i have more experience working on cars than quads, but how can i tell the diff between hydro and cable breaks by looking at it?

one is hydro brakes like a motorcycle and the other has cables that operate the brakes like a bicycle.

if its a 03 and up it unless someone converted the brakes to hydro there should be a ressi for brake fluid on the handle bars for the front brakes and from ur avatar pic it looks like ur missing the stator cover

ya that cover is missing too. theres a little black box next to the clutch lever that has a cable going back to the rear brakes.

ok now i feel stupid. i just went out n looked with a flashlight and they're def cable brakes. so that's pre '03? so maybe the frame is right and it's an 89 with 03 or newer plastics. I didnt know the new plastics would fit on an older quad

even if its an 89, you think i made out all right for $250? the fmf exhaust is a good touch but its rusty so ill prolly get something newer

even if its an 89, you think i made out all right for $250? the fmf exhaust is a good touch but its rusty so ill prolly get something newer

didnt do bad at all even if it needed a topend you do a compresion test or anything on it im guessing the oil injection is allready blocked off but for that pipe is it surface rust or is it just f*cked lol

the exhaust is just surface rust. i dont have a compression check gauge yet so i havent done one yet. its snappy as a typical stock blaster, but ive only ridden 2 others in my life. idk why i cant get the front tires in the air though lol. and for some reason when i shift up the shift lever stays stuck up and i have to tap it back down?

and i gotta mix the gas. the kid said he took the self mixer or whatever out. the ratio for these is 32:1 right?

for that pipe get some 0000 steel wool and mothers polish take the rust off with the steel wool then hit it with the mothers should shine up good 32:1 is good thats what i run

ok ill try that. i got a long list of things i need to do before i start upgrading. i just bought something cheap for a project that i can ride while im workin on it. i turn 21 on sunday so i figured id buy myself a b-day present lol. until now i dumped all my money into my car but running out of ideas for that lol. found a new bottom-less money whole lol