What happens when a Vitos stuffer crank explodes?

@Slickerthanyou- For the motor mounts I got some thick washers and welded them back into place. Or you can get the thick ears for about $5

So perhaps a naturally occuring frame crack (nothing to do with anything) allowed enough movement for a day riding to either 1) crack out all of the other mounts with then shook the crank apart violently right at the end or 2) allow enough harmonics to shake the stuffer loose a bit which therew the rotating mass dangerously out of balance which ripped the other mounts apart?

Either one sounds a bit far fetched but also within the realm of possibility. I know one thing, even it being a remote possibility..... I'm going to go outside this afternoon and look at all of my engine mounts! :eek:

So perhaps a naturally occuring frame crack (nothing to do with anything) allowed enough movement for a day riding to either 1) crack out all of the other mounts with then shook the crank apart violently right at the end or 2) allow enough harmonics to shake the stuffer loose a bit which therew the rotating mass dangerously out of balance which ripped the other mounts apart?

Either one sounds a bit far fetched but also within the realm of possibility. I know one thing, even it being a remote possibility..... I'm going to go outside this afternoon and look at all of my engine mounts! :eek:

Ya I can't discount anything that is possible. I have never seen both motor mounts completely broken, on a blaster! But newtons law applies here for me- if it can it will happen to me! I guess the top pipe mount was acting a a motor mount gonna have to check that too!

I also made that comment about PitBoss in the begining of this. If it were an issue there would be more proof and certainly wouldn't be talk of how to best set them up.

As to what actually happened we may never know.X( What amazes me is how bent it is.:eek:

i also made that comment about pitboss in the begining of this. If it were an issue there would be more proof and certainly wouldn't be talk of how to best set them up.

As to what actually happened we may never know.x( what amazes me is how bent it is.:eek:

so true! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As it is I would get one right now as mine's getting sloppy clearance at the rod and it's down for case repair. But I'm broke and son is talking about selling it.

Ahhh, how nice it was to be young! When you could just ignore those bad noises and hope it would go away. I can remember those days.
It took quite a few years and incidents to get to be the cautious Nelly that I am today.

I think Ken is on to something. That the bolts were tight indicates it was probably one cracked mount that probably started it. Increased vibration and continued riding would have broke the others. The free floating motor would have hammered the he11 out of its guts. You could compare it to shaking something in your fist, or putting it in a jar and shaking it. It makes sense Ken.

Thanks Best. I've seen a few Blasters in CT with broken engine mounts. The cause on most of them was loose engine mounting bolts and the other was a misalignment of the counter balance gear. If the crankshaft webs twisted, it would show all of the same damage. I think Slick should ship that crank to KOR so we can do some dissecting. We can press the crank apart, measure the pin and web holes, pull whats left of the stuffers out, measure them, and measure the holes in the crank. At any rate, it will be a fun experiment.

Thanks Best. I've seen a few Blasters in CT with broken engine mounts. The cause on most of them was loose engine mounting bolts and the other was a misalignment of the counter balance gear. If the crankshaft webs twisted, it would show all of the same damage. I think Slick should ship that crank to KOR so we can do some dissecting. We can press the crank apart, measure the pin and web holes, pull whats left of the stuffers out, measure them, and measure the holes in the crank. At any rate, it will be a fun experiment.

Look for it in the mail! I will expect a u-tube vid!!!!

I saw a brown vito's stuffer block this past weekend! Apparently when that plastic is hot and gets very wet (engine sucks in water) the plastic stuffer blocks turn a bright orange. Later, with heat they turn brown as dirt.

Scotj77's engine sucked in water last year at busco when he flipped his blaster down an embankment and into a pond. Apparently upon returning home he yanked it apart and the stuffer blocks were orange. This past weekend he had a flywheel nut issue after a missed shift and slammed gear. Thinking it was an engine problem (running low on sleep) we pulled the top end off and his stuffers are brown.

Not saying it has anything to do with the failure, but only the second brown stuffer block I've ever seen!

and i will be paying very close attention to anything strange going on with my motor. and will be working on a new bottom end in the process

and i will be paying very close attention to anything strange going on with my motor. and will be working on a new bottom end in the process

I saw no evidence of delamination at all on your crank but thought it was VERY interesting that it was the same color. I've only ever seen two brown stuffer blocks...

I have an update, now that my sons has told me everything that happened! This whole incident was due to alot of heat period!

My son told me that before they went riding the last time, that he let the blaster warm up for 15-25 minutes just idleing while they had breakfast and got there gear on. I asked him why you would let it sit so long as i have told him to always warm it up for five minutes before every ride. He says his buddy has a 4x4 grizzly or something and he just wasn't thinking.

Anyhow, I'd like to clear the air here and say that this issue was caused by an inexperience rider! Nothing to do with the product or the install.

Not sure why just the flywheel side bearing burned up, maybe that side runs hotter than the clutch side looking at the cases the clutch side looks to have more crankcase oil coooling (this is what I'll call it) (or kool-aid cooling heeeehee!)

I can say that there was no evidence of water inside the motor/carb/airbox/tranny. So I don't believe my issue was water related at all. But pure heat!

Scot If ya have a plastic burning smell, shut 'r down! Otherwise I think you will be fine! I'd put new main bearings on while i had it out!

fe3b1029.jpg

I bought a Blaster that had 2 motor mounts broken also.... Never ran it though. Just tore it down as a parts quad for my 240. But my TRX was missing an upper motor mount and I didn't notice. Wasn't long before my left crankcase split and threw a crank bearing. I wonder if that may have been the problem.