What do I have here

pittss1c

Nov 13, 2008
I bought a blaster off a tard. The owner previous to him did a lot to the quad, but the guy I bought it from knows next to nothing, but claimed it was a 240 and needed race gas.
I have it running pretty well now after fixing the exhaust and jetting it down considerably, but I am concerned because the compression is not all that high. (120-125). If this was a high compression engine, then it isn't quite right. (the need to drop the jet sizes may be an indicator as well)

If I need to re-ring it or something, is there an easy way to find out what 240 conversion this is?
Which brand/model of piston it is... so I can get the correct rings.

It pulls pretty darn hard so maybe I shouldn't worry about it yet.

thats about normal compression .. umm if the cylinderis black its most likely a stock head just bored 50over .. just post up some pics ..

i believe thats good compression. i wouldnt worry about it at all. wat size jetting are u running anyway. and wat do u have for an exhaust and carb?

Not black

I need to take some pics.. maybe tomorrow.
The cylinder is not black, it is unpainted.
It has a Keihin pwk 28mm and an LRD exhaust.
When I got it, it had 168 mains and 52 pilots.
It didn't run very well. I welded the pipe to seal it back up, I dropped the main down to 158 for now, and dropped down the needle one notch. It pulls pretty well now, but can be rough in the first 1/4 throttle. (keeps 4 stroking) once it clears... it's wheelie time.
To get the bottom a little better, I backed out the air screw enough that I lost it while riding.... damn! I am going to try a 48 pilot next week.

The only concern I have is that It was jetted much larger and was supposed to be a high compression. (I was thinking maybe it was a worn out high compression setup)

well you most certainly do not need to run race gas in any blaster that isnt a drag quad or if you live in an extremely hot environment.
people do not get that octane is only a preventative of knocking.
too little, the bike will knock.
too much, the fuel becomes too hard to burn and you lose power. for God sakes its a 2 stroke, its going to need some serious work for race gas, you will be fine with 89 octane even.
btw 120 psi is where i put in a new top end. I recommend buying a wiseco piston and ring, wiseco pistons are forged so you never have to worry about them shattering in your engine and totaling it instantly

sounds ike you guys know ur sheeet.. anyway im in the same boat i just got this bike three days ago and was told it had a ct racing kit and to run race gas my probem is. at high rpm in 5th or 6th gear it sounds like a midget with a hammer is beating on head or piston or somewhere in there. is this detonation? am i running to low of an octane?? im running sonoco 100 right now.. any help woud be great. also motor has 170 compression