what am I missing?

use4lo

Apr 11, 2010
new hampshire
I bought an 02 blaster basketcase a week and half ago. PO said it had no spark but had compression and the kick start was messed up. It came with an almost complete extra engine, new piston, rings, jug and head as well. The next day i set out to figure out the kickstart issue when I realized the engine case had been JB welded back together the whole case around starter shaft had been shattered so I moved on to the spark issue, realized the magneto flywheel was loose pulled it off and the key had sheared. New keyway and it was back together and had spark. Well to make a long story short engine ended up being swamped. case and pipe were full of water. So last weekend I built a new motor for it. Using the extra case, which was in great shape, I got I installed the new top end along with all new gaskets, pulled the carb, ripped that apart and cleaned everything on it. reinstalled everything and tried to fire nothing. No spark. Trouble shot and found the CDI was bad and replaced that today. Now have spark. Still wont run. It wants to start with a new plug on the first kick but only stumbles then nothing. pulled the plug and its wet. Gas is fresh and mixed 32/1

So far I have checked:
reeds are good, no cracks or gaps
Been thru the carb 3 times makin sure its perfectly clean and assembled properly
TORS has been disconnected at the throttle, carb and controller but not removed
oil injection is gone, all ports sealed
Nice clean white/blue spark
Keyway is in and not sheared so timing should be ok.
Although not checked with a guage compression seems excellent can't seem to find any leaks

It just seems like its get to much gas. Floats are set no gas comin out the overflow. I know Im missing something here but what. All parts I installed are stock except the CDI which is a hot shot and were installed using the manual I downloaded from this forum. I'm a noob to blasters but not mechanics. I've been wrenchin on my crap for over 20 years but this thing has me baffled. Any ideas other than using this thing as a boat anchor? Thanks for the help

air screw set 1.5 turns still nothing. I'm thinking a carb rebuild might be in order although everything is clean and tight no slop in the screws, choke. o rings are good and not dry rotted.

Certainly sounds like a carb prob. What jets are in it? Sounds kinda fat.

Even if you aren't overflowing you might still have a float prob. Maybe it is set too high, but not high enough to overflow.

Exhaust was full of water but drained it and hung it to dry. No water comes out anymore. As for the jets I'm not sure whats in it. I read a 230 is stock so I'll have to check that and check the floats again. The motor that came of it looked stock so I would assume the carb is stock as well.

Tore the carb apart again today. Main jet is a 230. Everything was still free and clear. Pulled the reeds they were wet. Look good but ordered another set just to be safe. If new reeds don't do it I guess either new carb or rebuild.

keep us posted. have you checked to be sure that the float is correct, and were you sure that the needle and seat ore clean?

with my reeds a while back, they looked good but there was just enough gap to make it not run. i took the flaps off flipped them over and problem solved. but youre getting new ones anyway. good luck

with my reeds a while back, they looked good but there was just enough gap to make it not run. i took the flaps off flipped them over and problem solved. but youre getting new ones anyway. good luck

you can flip the flaps i didnt know that cause i got 2 stage will that work on these to. i had to go back to stock ones

New reeds have been installed but unfortunately i've run into even more pressing issues. Kicked it over, it fired, then proceeded to make a horrible noise and stopped dead. Locked right up. Started pulling it apart thinking I just lost the motor but to my relief(better than the motor seizing) the clutch grenaded itself. Not sure how but the basket is destroyed. springs, bolts are bent. Ribs on the inside of the cover are broken off. I'm gonna guess I should have checked all that crap when I had the cover off. Gonna be an expensive lesson. BTW can anyone tell me how free flowing the header pipe is supossed to be? I know it creates back pressure but can hardly blow thru it. Its a stock pipe IDK how well they flow. Thanks for everybody suggestions I'll be getting back to that fuel issue in a few days.

well you can send me those reeds until you fix the bike... just kidding but i gotta find some clutch springs and bolts... if thats what you call them

Update: clutch rebuilt, reeds installed and it runs. I dont think the carb was the problem. It turns out the exhaust was plugged with grass and assorted swamp vegetation. Put 180 psi compressed air thru it and got it flowing reinstalled the header pipe and fired right up. Its still blowing clumps of grass out. Runs like a champ too. Thanks for all the help. Now onto all the minor crap like brakes.