What all do I need to start tt/flattrack racing

FordMan7072

Feb 4, 2010
Springfield Missouri
I've been wanting to get into flattrack racing. I'm starting with a blaster I bought from my brother for 500 bucks. Its suppose to have a big bore,stroker crank,race clutch,its got Vforce reeds,FMF SST and a 34mm flatslide. The guy he bought it from was a racer and had dirtbike handle bars and a twist throttle witch I switched out for atv bars and thumb throttle. Any advice on what else needs to be done to it or help with getting started would be very apperciated!!

Heres how the guy made it to be lowered and the upeer a arm ends have been changed

DSCF5088.jpg

DSCF5090.jpg

IMG_20120715_131303.jpg

IMG_20120715_131314.jpg

Here's it lowered

IMG_20120801_123945.jpg

IMG_20120801_124026.jpg

i would say you probably have a pretty good start there for a flat track racer. i dont know a lot about flat track racing but i think most racers use sway bars so i would say that and tires next

i know alot of styles of racing require nerf bars, to keep others wheels out of your foot area
and a tether kill switch to shut the bike down in case you come off of it
alot of mx racers like 18" rear tires and smaller 19/20" fronts, not sure if that holds true for TT ??
if it's an AMA sanctioned race you must become a member of the AMA

a heavy right thumb and some big brass nads help too, LOL

if you do decide to go with different tires, keep me in mind for those front pure sport bandits (my fav's)
especially if they're 22" kevlar xt's

edit.....i zoomed in on the tires, they're A/T's
but i'd still be interested if ya go a different route

Thanks guys...I'm planning on ordering a teather kill and some nerfs as soon as I can. I love the pure sports too my old blaster had them on the rear and im kicking myself for not saving them so I could have a matching set. At any rate I wanna loose the 22/11/8's on the rear cause they barley clear my back plastics.

Really?? That would explain why its so doggy til mid range.

it's possible to gear it for any size tires, but if it's running the stock 13/40, or close, throwing some 18/20's on it will really awaken the bottom/mids.
a 12 tooth front sprocket (more power) would help in your case with those 22's, but will require shortening the chain also, as will going to a 14t front sprocket (more speed) require a longer chain

there's a gearing/speed calculator on here somewhere, try out the search button at the top of each page

if you are flat tracking you need to space it out a bit. the quad i race with is at 48" on the rear. a front sway bar is a lifesaver on a good sticky track. and just start off with a 14/40 and possibly grab a 39T rear depending on the size of track. with our 18" tires we are topped out with a 14/39. start out with a diecent set of tires used just to try it out. you dont want to be out over $400 on rubber alone to find out you dont like it. just start with gearing tether, nerfs, and cheep 2'' spacers. if you dont have some a good chest protector and a good set of riding boots. some tracks the boots are mandatory. remember go fast turn left and keep the rubber on the ground!

ok i think your bike is way too low for tt but for flat track it is set up good my frame hits the ground when i go over the jumps and mines lowerd 1 1/2 front 2" rear but you have to have a sway bar

and i suggest running 18" rears and either 18,19, or 20s front and im gonna run hoosiers rear and rzrs front soon as i get my wheels and the gearing calculator is in my sig and i suggest 12 tooth front more low end coming out of the turns