wet plug need advice

blaster1290

Aug 11, 2012
Hey guys just got me a blaster the quad has a vitos 240,boyseen reeds, full procircuit pipe.

Now I got the quad and it runs good also idles but the quad stumbles bad at idle to 1/4 after that runs good if I stay on it at full throttle or do full throttle blips. If I try to just give it a 1/4 throttle it bogs bit will not stall just like chokes so what I did was cleaned the filter and bought a new plug did a few high speed runs and then putted in down my street to my house and pulled the plug and its wet tell me what u guys think. Also I noticed the quad will not start with choke even cold and if I start it with choke off the bike will start and idle then if I open the choke a little it dies. Idk what it could be I was thinking pilot is too rich.

2012-08-11154307.jpg

Float level could be wrong, setting on a stock carb is 20 - 21.5mm.

What jets are in there and is the air box lid on?

Please list all other mods.

Ok pulled the carb and the main jet was a 290 and quad runs great at full throttle but at like 1/8 to half throttle it is sluggish I moved the needle clip from the middle to bottom and ran very bad so I then moved it to the top and bike has more power and a little better
Could it be I need to lean the pilot jet or main jet a little being that the needle clip is at leanest position and still not smooth power? Also this happens only when riding.

Another thing I noticed is if I'm putting in 1st and peg the throttle it takes off but if I slowly. Work my way up to full throttle it garggles till it gets to about 3/4 throttle

You said you think the pilot is too rich, what size is it?

Have you checked the float level?

What colour is the needle? Sometimes peeps fit a needle from a jet kit, which they should really throw in the trash.

Have you adjusted the idle correctly, if not it could be affecting the 1/8 throttle?

Idle adjusting.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a fast idle.

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs to allow the motor to respond.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

Have you plug chopped the main at WOT to see if it is the correct jet.

Ok here's all mods
K&n filter no lid or snorkel
Vito's 240 with boyseen reeds
Full pro circuit exhaust

My jetting is 290 main jet
Pilot is a 30
Needle color is blue and Was set at middle but moved it down and ran worst now I have it set at the top.

My quad stumbles at 1/4 to 3/4 But runs good at full throttle but when I try and just cruise at like 1/2 throttle it kinda gargles or stumbles till I peg it then she takes off.also the quad idles great if that means anything did a compression test and read at about 165-170

I'm located in pa /nj border line at 500ft above sea level

Tell me what you guys think

Also here's a picture after riding it and mostly full throttle

597fb4a4.jpg

I will go along with the main.

Try a 32.5 pilot.

That blue needle speaks trouble to me as I feel it is from a kit. To my recollection the needle may be way too rich.

Try to get your hand on a stock needle and put it on the middle clip.

Ok but this is what I don't understand u think I need to go bigger on the pilot as that would make it more rich. The quad also does not work on choke will start with no choke but if I pull choke while it's idling cold it will die. Wouldn't that mean its to rich of a pilot or am I wrong

It is very unusual that anything but the stock 32.5 pilot is used.

Is the float level correct and the idle set correctly?

There must be something amiss, as it should idle fine with a stock pilot.

When you set your idle where was the air screw setting, it should be about 1 1/2 turns out.

The float and idle must be correct as it will affect the needle circuit.

Have you done a plug chop to confirm that the #290 main is correct, as it is impossible to jet by just pulling out a plug, just looking at it, it is gonna be wet.

Even a perfectly jetted motor will return a wet black plug, when ridden down through the gears and stopped.

The plug to be chopped must be pulled out immediatly the WOT run is done.

Last edited:
So u think my pilot is too small? I'm also am trying to under stand what's going On just wondering why would my carb have a 30 pilot if stock is 32.5 wouldn't that make it super lean ?

So u think my pilot is too small? I'm also am trying to under stand what's going On just wondering why would my carb have a 30 pilot if stock is 32.5 wouldn't that make it super lean ?

Not if it is picking off fuel from an incorrectly adjusted float.

At idle the slide should be raised a little and some air will flow under it.

If the fuel level is too high and brimming on a rich needle jet, some extra fuel may be pulled off creating a rich idle mix.

You can check the fuel level by lifting the carby drain tube up beside the carby bowl.

Crack the drain open, with the petcock on, and the fuel in the tube should be just about level with the top of the float bowl gasket.

Any higher may cause it to brim.

Ok Ill check the float by doing that test also I noticed my needle jet had a c lip for adjustmen but on the top and bottom of the c clip is a plastic washer if I remove the one on the bottom the needle will go down more into the main jet should I try that?

i had problems with low end bog an i was fouling plug an they had way to much oil i would highly recommened you mesure your float level that way my problem

blaaster told you the mesurement

to messure take the carb gasket out an measure from the gasket seat to the top of the float

also make sure that the needle jet is just touching the seat before you mesure to get an accurate mesurment. the float will most likely have to be picked up slightly to get the needle jet in the correct position.

Ok Ill check the float by doing that test also I noticed my needle jet had a c lip for adjustmen but on the top and bottom of the c clip is a plastic washer if I remove the one on the bottom the needle will go down more into the main jet should I try that?

An by that test if your talking about the plug chop that will not check your float exactly your float will still need to be mesured...

Your running a stock carb on the 240 kit an are you premixing.... if so to what?

I mixed at 32.1 4 ounces per gallon.

I called vitos performance and they said my main jet seems a little small saying my 290 is small does that sound right? I'm gona do a plug chop today after I clean everything and put the carb back in. Think I'm gona grab a 32.5 pilot and give it a go but not sure yet.

Leave the plastic washer where it is.

Lets get back to basics, we are chasing tails.

I have never known a BBK using anything less than a stock #32.5 pilot, if anything they call for larger.

To be able to do a sucuessful plug chop, the things that must be right are.

It must be leak free, do a leak down test.

The float level must be correct.

The idle must be correctly adjusted.

If Vitos say you may need a larger main, try that, dump in a #310 and try a WOT plug chop with a b8es plug.

It is possible to do a plug chop on the needle to see what condition it returns.

Set the thumb throttle limiter screw to allow 3/4 throttle and proceed as a WOT check.

The wet plug senario may be confusing the issue some, unless you have oodles of experience, the only way to find optium jetting is to plug chop.

So let us start from the beginning, 32:1, leak test, float level, 32.5 pilot, idle setting, stock needle middle clip, #310 main jet.

Plug chop WOT, Plug chop needle.

Last edited:
Ok guys figured out the problem it was the tors.it was deleted and where the idle adjustment was it was striped so I guess the previous owner set the idle by the air screw and was all weird and reving.after I made my own idle screw and reset the air screw to 1-1/2 turns and did as blaaaster said seemed better then I messed with the needle put it at 2nd notch from the top tried it and still had the stuffer at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and then moved it to top of clip leanest condition and was a lot better I'm guessing the vittos blue needle is to rich for what I'm running. But before I do anything else I'm gona do a proper plug chop to make sure main jet is right.

Would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped.