twist throttle

there are no pro's
the cons are ...you'll kill yourself first time the front end comes up and you twist it even further

Reactions: davenichole
What's the difference between front end on a dirtbike or streetbike coming up with a twist throttle?

from what i've read...bikes are skinnier and set-up different, taller seat/more upright postiton, so you can actually squeeze them between your legs to hang on,
atv's are not like that and alot of hanging on is done at the bars, which when it comes up, you pull back on them twisting the throttle even more.
as for streetbikes, thats usually all done on smooth pavement...add in bumps, rocks, ruts of the trails and it may be different ?
does a single skinny tire versus 2' wide of 2 atv tires make a difference ?

have you run your twist throttle yet to give us input ?

from what i've read...bikes are skinnier and set-up different, taller seat/more upright postiton, so you can actually squeeze them between your legs to hang on,
atv's are not like that and alot of hanging on is done at the bars, which when it comes up, you pull back on them twisting the throttle even more.
as for streetbikes, thats usually all done on smooth pavement...add in bumps, rocks, ruts of the trails and it may be different ?
does a single skinny tire versus 2' wide of 2 atv tires make a difference ?

have you run your twist throttle yet to give us input ?

I had a twist throttle on my Yamaha Tri-z 250. I loved it. Only con i can see is what people talking about with steering difference between a atv and dirtbike.

I see your point with being able to grab a streetbike with your thighs, but you are still pulled backwards on it by the force.

i'm not ragging on anyone who likes a twist, but
fact remains that 99.9999 % of atv riders who tried a twist, switched back to thumb throttles and said they almost died.

good luck to you other .0001 % who can handle them,
they're definately not for everyone

Quick question, my bike is idling too low. How do i adjust it? The only screw on the stock mikuni carb is the air/fuel screw?

pull the seat, lift rubber flap that extends from under the tank, down in there on top of the tors box is a big screw, thats the idle adjust screw
adjust it in with a big flat blade screwdriver.

if your tors has been removed, then someone didn't install the idle screw kit on the carb ?

i was thinking of getting a twist throttle kit. what are some of the pros and cons??

It takes a few hours and a few hairy moments to master a twister.

If you position the wrist correctly the power will not increase on accelleration.

Try it, you just may like it, I am an avid supporter of twist throttles, there is no room on any bike of mine for a thumb throttle, they feel like washing your feet with your socks on.

i may try one. not sure yet im still torn. Think about it sometimes when it lifts up you accidently push the throttle a little. a twist throttle would make that mistake alot more prone to happen and ALOT more throttle. and that mistake can land you on your a#*

i may try one. not sure yet im still torn. Think about it sometimes when it lifts up you accidently push the throttle a little. a twist throttle would make that mistake alot more prone to happen and ALOT more throttle. and that mistake can land you on your a#*

If you position your wrist correctly when the power comes on it will tend to want to take the gas off, you have to make a conservative effort to keep the gas on.

It takes a fair amount of practice to learn a twister on a quad, but in the end I think the effort is worth it, you have so much more throttle control.

two words... bump steer. You don't get the same motions on the bars of a street/dirt bike when you're bouncing all around the trails and bumps because you're only using two contact points with the ground. An ATV has 4... when you hit a bump on one side it pulls the pars in that direction where that motion doesn't exists(at least not significantly enough) to jar the bars left and right. Twist throttles are great for drag applications where you're not getting that bump steer. But any time you have the possibilty of uncontrollable bar movement, trails, mx, etc... you're going to have some bump steer and thus an inconsistant throttle. wheeleies and power on/power off situations are the least of a twist throttles issues on an ATV, IMO.

Bump steer is caused by excessive movement and changes in geometry caused by the toe in/out changing as the suspension reciprocates.

I find that a twist throttle has more control to iron out those unpredictabe lurches to either left or right, especially the right, where the thumb wants to be rammed on to the lever.

Ive used both extensively and prefer the thumb and always changed to a thumb, as a few people have stated its each to there own, but had a lot more hairier moments when things have gone wrong with a twister than i have with a thumb thottle but try it and find out for yourself, all in all its preference I:I

ive never had problem with them on long rides their great

I have used twist throttles on my other Yami quads since i bought them new. Although i was raised on two wheels and graduated to four I will always put on a twist grip on any machine that will accept it. Never had a problem with them on a quad except when I deserved it and would have wrecked regardless.

Twist grips on quads work really well if you ask me.

Yes, proper wrist positioning is key to not going over backwards from whiskey throttle.

I am running a twist on mine. I am a big fan so far. I have always owned dirtbikes and street bikes. The thumb throttle was never really in my comfort zone. I'm glad I switched!