Trouble checking the stator, help!

Champion88

Dec 28, 2011
Ponca City, Oklahoma
I bought an '03 Blaster not running, and the piston was scarred. I was told it wasn't getting oil from the oil injection, and that's what it looked like by the condition of the piston. I bored it out .010" over and installed a new piston and rings. I have hot blue fire, about 130-135 lbs. of compression, but it won't start. It will fire 6 or 8 times and then die. After messing with it it will start and run like a 2 cylinder engine running on one cylinder, but the throttle floods it out. It's like the firing is at the wrong time, so I checked the flywheel key and it's perfect. After reading the downloadable manual I was ohming out the coil and stator. The coil checks out good, and the pickup coil checks out good, but when I ohm out the primary coil I can't get a reading. I'm checking the black/red and the black wires like it says to, but I get no reading at all.
Does this sound right? I'm getting fire but with not getting a reading from the primary coil would that make it fire at the wrong time and would that be my problem?
Also I can't find the control module for the TORS, but if I unplug the thumb throttle and the carb connections my fire only fires about every 6 or 8 revolutions of the motor, that's just a guess. But if they're plugged in it fires very rapidly. I'm kind of at a loss on what to do there since I can't find the module to unplug.
I really don't want to buy a new stator to find out I wasn't doing something right with my checks.
Thanks for your help in advance, I'm a newbie here, but I've been reading the posts for while now. Awesome site!

I forgot to mention I also checked the reeds and they are all in good shape, I also cleaned the carb twice to make sure it was clean. Air screw is 1 3/4 turns out.

Last edited:
just unhook the parking brake at the handle, no tying wires together

I cut the wires and twisted them together temporarily on the tors connectors and then put the stator back in. I then tested the orange wire on the coil with a test light and it looks a lot better. Looks to be firing on each revolution. I forgot to mention earlier that I had to spin the motor pretty fast to get it to read on the test light, but now I don't have to spin it very fast as all. I'll get everything soldered and hooked back up and then I'll shoot the fuel to it and see if she gets excited. lol..... Thanks guys for all your help, I have learned a lot on this project, I mean just last night I didn't even know what TORS meant. :)
I'll report back with the results.

GREAT and there are alot of helpful ppl here to help ya with anything and hope to hear or see her purrin like a kitten.

I cut the wires and twisted them together temporarily on the tors connectors and then put the stator back in. I then tested the orange wire on the coil with a test light and it looks a lot better. Looks to be firing on each revolution. I forgot to mention earlier that I had to spin the motor pretty fast to get it to read on the test light, but now I don't have to spin it very fast as all. I'll get everything soldered and hooked back up and then I'll shoot the fuel to it and see if she gets excited. lol..... Thanks guys for all your help, I have learned a lot on this project, I mean just last night I didn't even know what TORS meant. :)
I'll report back with the results.

Awesome, tors will stop the spark! Good job! Let us know bro!

Well I got the wires all soldered, unhooked the parking brake, and then hooked the gas tank back up. It's doing the same thing, it will start but just barely run, like a slow idle, but giving it more throttle does nothing. It doesn't sound right either, still like it's firing at the wrong time.
Do you think it's my stator since I couldn't get the ohms on the primary coil?

Well I soldered the tors wires and unhooked the parking brake, I then put on the tank and hooked up the gas. I tried to start it and it's doing the same thing as before, it will start but it barely runs, and giving it more throttle does nothing. It doesn't sound right either, kind of like it's still firing at the wrong time.
Do you think it's my stator after all since I couldn't get an ohm reading on the primary coil? Does this sound logical?

You must be doing something wrong with test. If it reads 0 ohms it would not run. Does coil ohm out? Plug cap seperately? Trim 1/4" off plug wire before reinstalling. All grounds clean and tite, coil mount clean bare metal? All other connections clean and tite? Plug good? Do a leak down and comp test? Are reeds sitting tight to cage? Although cdis usually go/nogo guess there's a possiblility it's malfunctioning. Are poles and flywheel clean of rust?

You must be doing something wrong with test. If it reads 0 ohms it would not run. Does coil ohm out? Plug cap seperately? Trim 1/4" off plug wire before reinstalling. All grounds clean and tite, coil mount clean bare metal? All other connections clean and tite? Plug good? Do a leak down and comp test? Are reeds sitting tight to cage? Although cdis usually go/nogo guess there's a possiblility it's malfunctioning. Are poles and flywheel clean of rust?

That's what I was thinking but I checked it several times and never could get a reading. Yes the coil check ohmed good, I didn't check the cap, but it screwed down tight, I guess I need to trim the 1/4" and check that too.

I don't know how it's possible but the bracket that holds the coil was broken in two in the area away from the frame, where the the two ends meet, I mig welded them back together and then polished the contact surfaces very clean with a wire wheel and sandpaper. I don't have a leakdown tester, but it has a brand new top end bored .010" over and has between 130-135 compression.
I pulled the reeds and they weren't sitting flat because there were some burrs on the edges so I took a razor blade and scraped them flat, they sit very good now, I shined a flash light from the back side so I could check for light.
I know a guy that has an '01, I think I might see if I can borrow it so I can swap out the cdi and stator to see if that's my problem.

Thanks for all your help guys, this one is really bugging me, it has a toomey silencer and I assume a pipe, but I can't find any name on the pipe, I bet she sounds really good if I can ever get it to run! lol.....