Trailer for hauling quads and camping

dksix

Apr 16, 2012
North East Tennessee
I've been thinking about buying a trailer so I could haul 2 quads and gear. Today while surfing CL I came across a 6' x 12' enclosed trailer. It would be idea to haul the quads and stuff, plus I could use it to camp over night. My big question is pulling/stopping it. The trailer weighs about 1200 pounds and figure 2 quads and stuff will be around 1000 pounds. I have a Ranger 4x4 extended cab with the 4.0 speed and weighs about 3000 pounds.

just look at the Tow Rating for your Ranger , the 6x12 probably doesnt have brakes , so a brake controller isnt needed . add up the weight of the trailer , quads and gear and compare that to the rating . Depending on the year , the 4.0 litre v6 has a Tow Rating of about 5600 lbs . You will be fine.

As long as your Ranger is rated to tow that much weight (you can check and see), it should pull it. I would NOT attempt to tow a trailer that big with a bumper. Get a real trailer hitch, Class II or Class III. I tow trailers with a 200hp 4.3 V6 engine, and have had no problems hauling or stopping two quads and gear on a trailer. Just be aware that with a smaller engine, it takes a little while to get up to speed. If you get in trouble on the road, you had better slow down because you can't drop down a gear, punch it, and accelerate away. Not enough horsepower.

i have a ranger, and tow both our blasters behind it no problem not in a enclosed trailer though...... just give it alittle more stopping time than say a 1ton truck

You will be fine towing it with your truck.I wouldn't go cross country but shorter trips will be easy peasy. Heres my thoughts on a 6x12.They are a good size trailer and if loaded right you will fit 3 quads in it.In order to sleep in it you will deffinately have to pull the bikes out and use the full space to sleep.No trailer brakes so make sure your trucks brakes are in good standing.Other than that I would go for it. I recently sold my 6x12 and went for a larger 7x16.I went with a dual axle and added a brake controller to our vehicle.It is deffinatley nice to have trailer brakes but very few 6x12 trailers have them.If you want some info on what to look for when buying an enclosed trailer send me a p.m. Good luck on the purchases!!!