top end help

Srm5162

Mar 2, 2017
Hey everyone. I am new to this forum as I just picked up 3 blasters for my kids, 2001, 2002 and 2005. Overall the bikes are fun and seem well maintained but I am thinking a top end rebuild is due as well as complete gaskets and seals as one smokes more than the rest. Any advise on where to start with used blasters??

Well a couple things. I have learned on these machines, preventative maintenance is a key to having these machines last a long time.

1. Build a leak tester, there are several how to's on this site. It is one of if not the most important tools you can have in your toolbox for them.

2. Ebay piston/cylinder kits are a NO NO!!! STAY AWAY!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!

3. If your thinking about taking the top end off of the smoker, do a couple things first. Compression test it with a good branded tester. All too often we see people get different results from a cheap one to a quality one.

4. Clean the motor before anything, no need to take a top end off and get dirt into the bottom end.

5. Leak test it before removing anything. This can pinpoint your problem!!!

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Well a couple things. I have learned on these machines, preventative maintenance is a key to having these machines last a long time.

1. Build a leak tester, there are several how to's on this site. It is one of if not the most important tools you can have in your toolbox for them.

2. Ebay piston/cylinder kits are a NO NO!!! STAY AWAY!!! AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!

3. If your thinking about taking the top end off of the smoker, do a couple things first. Compression test it with a good branded tester. All too often we see people get different results from a cheap one to a quality one.

4. Clean the motor before anything, no need to take a top end off and get dirt into the bottom end.

5. Leak test it before removing anything. This can pinpoint your problem!!!
Thanks for the advise much appreciated

What makes you think the top end needs to be replaced? Is it knocking? Does it not run as hard as the others? Or are you just trying to stay ahead of the curve? All bikes run different and will smoke more/less than others.

Are all bikes jetted the same?
Same mods?

My bike smokes like a frieght train, but another buddy I ride with, you can't see it. Only smell.

I'm all for people staying ahead on maintaining their equipment, but if it's not needed then just enjoy the time with the family :)

What makes you think the top end needs to be replaced? Is it knocking? Does it not run as hard as the others? Or are you just trying to stay ahead of the curve? All bikes run different and will smoke more/less than others.

Are all bikes jetted the same?
Same mods?

My bike smokes like a frieght train, but another buddy I ride with, you can't see it. Only smell.

I'm all for people staying ahead on maintaining their equipment, but if it's not needed then just enjoy the time with the family :)
I have no clue about the jetting or mods don to these quads. I bought all 3 with a week or two from offer up. For the most part all of them have at least a slight knocking/ticking kind of sound all at various levels of sound. My biggest concern is the 2001. The throttle response is weak. Almost bogs out for a sec then kicks in. I cleaned the carb, replaced the air filter with kandN and it got much better. I adjusted the carb a bit and it smoothed out and responds considerably better!!between the knocking and the smoking and not knowing the history of the machines I figured crank seals to eliminate some of the smoking and top end while I was in there. But this is all just my best guess, which is why I posted here for help.. lol

All 3 have the oil res intact

I figured crank seals to eliminate some of the smoking

Yes/no. The seals only need to be replaced if the engine oil keeps disappearing. There's a little sight glass under the cylinder by the foot peg. That will tell how much oil is in there which makes up for there being no dipstick.

Do all bikes have different mods?

Explore the sight, ask questions, and have fun. Also, if you do have a question, go to google, put in your question followed by 'Blasterforum' and it'll bring up links to old threads/answers you need.

Throw up the mods of all bikes, location of you, and outside temps. Well bring you close to the jetting specs you should be at.
I have no idea about any mods to these quads. The 01 and 02 seem pretty much stock. The 05 is the best of the bunch and has some cosmetic stuff done, has widening kit all around. All bikes have power core 2 exhaust. I live in New England (northern RI) so last weekend it was 70 degrees and tomorrow we are getting 18inches of snow.. lol

The FMF Power core pipes require a main jet change. I believe they call for a 270 main jet.

Excessive smoke and lack of power may be a crank seal on the clutch side. A leak test will point t you in the right direction.