think pistons blown

darrencurry08

May 7, 2012
Northern Ireland
was driving today and it shut off and stopped and wouldn't start again but when i took it to the house again and tried again but it just idled for like 2 seconds then went off and wont rev up or nothing, so i took the carb off and cleaned it well and still no change thinking it would be that as it sounds a bit boggy, does anyone know what it is, im going to rip the head off tomorrow anyway too have a look :)

DON'T take the head off yet. You need to do a compression and leak test. If compression is good than it could be something in the ignition, tors, or parking brake. If you did blow the top end you need to know why it happened so you can fix it before it does it to your new top end. So start with compression test. If it is bad leak test it and see if it had an air leak. If compression test is good then leak test for piece of mind and start looking at other possible problems.

Compression test,leak down test. These are the first things that should be done to diagnose a running problem. Knowing you have good compression and no leaks will help find what's wrong a lot easier.

besides the good advice to compression and leakdown test given above.
shoulda looked into the intake with a flashlight to see if all 4 reed petals are present while you had the carb off.
pull the reed cage to give them a look for cracks chips before pulling the engine apart.
and check for good strong blue spark

^^^ Good advice ... Compression/leak test, then check reeds, then throw a new spark plug in there ! I've had similiar problems before, once was caused by bad reeds (petals) and the other time I fouled my plug ! Good luck, hopefuu it'll be an easy fix.

dont think i need to go this far now, as i think ive found out the problem :/
j7t9pe.jpg
lol clean busted

The advantage of an aftermarket reed is not so much power gain , but snappier throttle response.

The dual stage reed is cost effective and almost as good as the dearer variety.

Re fit the stock reed stops if you use the dual stage.