The Turbo Blaster Lives.....

VeTTeMaNC486

Mar 16, 2009
Walterboro SC
Just cranked her up today. I:I

Few problems,
Idle - it is idling at like 4 or 5k rpm, Carb still has that tors thing on top of it although the wiring is unpluged going to it. Any way to adjust the idle or do I need to get rid of the tors.

I am assuming that the high idle is coming from air being forced into the cylinder from the turbo. When I cranked it with just the exhaust hooked up just idling it was spinning that beast like mad and putting out pressure.

I bought an electric fuel pump for an automotive carb. and it will pump the 0w 20 mobil 1 i bought for it, Just hoping the stator has the nuts to run this dinky little pump, I think it will because there isn't alot to the pump. I still have to hook up the oiling system and fab up a tank for the oil.

I need a boost gauge, I had one on my old 86 corvette but don't know what I did with it when I removed the engine.

I need a wastegate. Doesn't have one at this time because I was not sure if it would build pressure. I need one on the cheap cause im broke.

I would say I am probably 70-80 percent done.. I need to make hangers and stuff for it to hang on the frame.. I am going to tac my exhaust together ie at the flange on the motor and at the stinger because there is too much wable and I dont want it coming apart on a jump or something and destroying the turbo or something. I still have to grind down the welds, I did not have a tubing bender or any pre bent pipes so all the bends are cut a grove and weld... :-/ and I might powder coat the tubing, not sure if powercoating will handle the temperature on the exhaust side though.... that bish gets hot. and I need to fab up the oiling system.

turboblaster.jpg

there is a pic. Can everyone see it? Im not good at this pic posting stuff.
I will take more pics when I get closer to it being done. Ill post a video when It will idle etc.

nah the compressor side pushes out cold ass air.

Some older aircraft use compressors as air conditioning for the aircraft and its nothing more than a turbo charger.

why do you think everyone intercools turbo setups on cars? the intake charge heats up to a couple hundred degrees at times. hopefully it'll loose enough heat thru the expansion chamber that it won't get the turbo too hot. i guess we'll find out haha

oh ya your right. I forgot theres no heat to air exchanger on it.

It'll be fine Ive seen several Vw's with a draw thru setup. Mine was blowthru and thats a whole other game.

i'm really worried about the turbo becoming a combustion chamber once it gets hot since its pullin thru the carb...

Would be rather hard with no spark in the turbo... not really THAT much heat...

Yeah IATs will be up there. If this provides noticable power gains and seems reliable I will probably toy with the idea of meth injection to tone down the IATs.

I think this setup with fuel injection would be sic.... Can anyone say... megasquirt? B)
that would be sick..

On a different note, I ran it again and if I hold my hand over the carb the idle comes down depending on how much I cover it, so I guess i just need to beable to get the slide down father to bring the idle down.

I would really like a longer throttle cable so I could just put the carb at the back so it isn't hanging out the side like that. I dont really like that but there is no room anywhere for it. After I get everything sorted out I might dyno it. Believe it or not my small ass town (bigest store here is walmart) a guy has a dyno at his shop. Everyone said the dude is a douche so idk.. we will see.

biggest store in my town is a corner store called galeo's.. next biggest... a hardware/gunstore called AF boyers