The studs on my cylinder have small cracks around the back of flange

vwblooded

Aug 16, 2013
poconos
It's where the head gasket bolts to there only around where the top bolt goes and the top left I couldn't get them torqued to 25 only about 20-22 ft lbs is this alright I replaced all the gaskets any help would be great thanks

Cause I'm scared there goin to crack more and the studs will come out I can't take a pic cause I have the head on and it was a new gasket and it's set should I go ahead and keep torquing?

It's where the head gasket bolts to there only around where the top bolt goes and the top left I couldn't get them torqued to 25 only about 20-22 ft lbs is this alright I replaced all the gaskets any help would be great thanks

Where did you get the figure of 25, the head bolts should be tensioned to 20 ft lbs.

I differ from Ken, I always advise what the Yamaha service manual calls for, and they state 20 ft lbs for head and 18 for the cylinder.

There is no way I would run cracked studs. They have to be able to stand up to extreme heat and pressure. If they don't, POW. New top end time! So yes, replace the studs.

Are you sure they are cracked and not just being pulled out of the cylinder when being tightened ? If they do in fact show any sign of cracking or fatigue then you should buy new studs and don't start your motor until the old ones are replaced !

It sounds like the damage is with the threads in the jug. I don't understand what this guy is trying to tell us and no pics.