the future of atv suspension ?????

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
most of you guys know my thoughts on suspension
"it rules on the trails"
but this is just insane..................

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a cool little system. I like when he goes over the bumps inline and his body dont move because of the 4 wheel independant suspension and long travel. I allways wanted to ride the new 700 honda sport quad to feel it over the rough stuff. I have heard that 4 wheel independant suspension kind of takes the fun out of slideing threw corners but i would like to try it myself and form my own opinion on these quads with it.

Would not really work well in mud. You could only either thin tires or wide baloon tires which are horrible in mud. If you have a flat tire it would be on the lip the whole ride. But is still awesome and looks really fun.

That is a cool little system. I like when he goes over the bumps inline and his body dont move because of the 4 wheel independant suspension and long travel. I allways wanted to ride the new 700 honda sport quad to feel it over the rough stuff. I have heard that 4 wheel independant suspension kind of takes the fun out of slideing threw corners but i would like to try it myself and form my own opinion on these quads with it.

"Regular" 4 wheel independent doesn't let you slide, instead of the axle and swingarm pivots holding you in a single plane (flat to the ground like a swingarm quad does), the rear suspension "rolls" and the whole frame rolls with it. You'll feel like you're coming off the seat "highside" before you can get enough rear end slide to drift around corners.

That suspension there ^^^ cants the tires inward into the turn and seems to hold steady even on hard turns. It looks like it would be more predicatable and comfortable ride but less adrenline pumping...

yes sic, at one point i thought that dude was going to come off, seems to lean very drastically. and yes, i dont think i would ever buy one...it looks so lame!

I would like to see that thing in some real action on a hard trail or maybe hitting a few jumps and really testing it out. But it is a cool idea though probably would be a pretty comfy ride with all that travel

I also feel if you landed wierd on a jump it would wanna lean and you would flip or fall off. Thats if the tires dont dig and and stop you

I don't think it would work well in off cambers. Seems like gravity would force it to lean with the grade and not against it... Would make a nice application for the street. Anything to make ATV's road legalI:I:D

I think this goes beyond street, If you watch they are riding smooth trails and it is so responsive that i'd venture it would do good in all but super soft material. Someone mentioned that with dirtbike tires/paddles it could handle mud but I wonder if a heavier 450 like the predator it is set up on would sink ... with a super lite quad like a blaster it could probably be equipped to handle almost anything. It does look however like there is a learning curve in the way your body leans it into corners/handling. Does anyone know if this is a product or a one-off, i'd be super interested in looking further into this set-up

I would like to see something like that try and run baja. that would be interesting to see what it will do. Needs a 500 2stroke though

I personally don't like it. I wouldn't feel stable at all on one. If I wanna ride something that swings back and forth I will sell the quad and buy a teeter-totter. lol And the new Honda 700XX's with the independent rear suspension are junk. My friend has 2 of the and the have so many problems it's unbelieveable. Crank went in one and the other threw a piston within a year. The axles and U-Joints just make one more weak spot and they go bad quick with the quick on and off throttle action. Rips them apart. And they are the biggest pain in the ars to work on in the world. If you get a chance to ride one do it but you will be disappointed. They ride nice but they are for top end speed not low end balls. It's all out speed, no torque at all. They don't drift and they feel heavier than a utility. Trying to ride one on a MX track is like trying to run across a bed of hot coals while cooking marshmallows. It hurts like crazy and it just doesn't work out. lol

I personally don't like it. I wouldn't feel stable at all on one. If I wanna ride something that swings back and forth I will sell the quad and buy a teeter-totter. lol And the new Honda 700XX's with the independent rear suspension are junk. My friend has 2 of the and the have so many problems it's unbelieveable. Crank went in one and the other threw a piston within a year. The axles and U-Joints just make one more weak spot and they go bad quick with the quick on and off throttle action. Rips them apart. And they are the biggest pain in the ars to work on in the world. If you get a chance to ride one do it but you will be disappointed. They ride nice but they are for top end speed not low end balls. It's all out speed, no torque at all. They don't drift and they feel heavier than a utility. Trying to ride one on a MX track is like trying to run across a bed of hot coals while cooking marshmallows. It hurts like crazy and it just doesn't work out. lol

I cannot speak to reliabilty, but the IRS on the rear end of the 700 sucks ... plus it is heavy as all hell. I'll take lightweight and straight axle on my sport quads please anyday ... screw a 700 if you must go the 700 route the raptor is a way better choice but still heavy as hell

I would like to see how it handles jumps, everybody catches some air sometimes. It would also be nice if dirt bike tires are compatible. Its a good start but I would like to see more!