takes forever to start and dies when stopping in 4th-5th gear why???

05blasterbeast3

Nov 12, 2012
Tacoma, Washington
hello guys im a newbie to 4 wheelers and im only 14 years old, and i need some help!!!! Ive owned my 2005 Yamaha blaster for about half a year now and up unto now i got a problem. it takes forever to start but when i start it i have to warm it up for about a minute or to and then its good. why does it take so long to start??? theses are the things i tried and did so far:

-just changed the oil today

-cleaned out the spark plug really good with my uncle

another problem i have is when I'm driving in like 4th-5th gear and slow down and brake at the end of the street/turn i kick the gears down but when i do the engine starts to slowwwwwwly die off and turns off why????? hope to get some feedback and recommendations very soon...

thanks dave

You should warm it up for a miniute or more before you ride it anyway.

It may be hard to start if the reeds are chipped or frayed.

It would pay to do a leak test as you should test a 2 stroke at least twice aeason for leaks.

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
okay thanks soooo much!!!! would low compression have something to do with it?or the cables are worn out???

would it???? is a leak test the same as a low pressure test like if the engine doesent have enough air to get started?, and btw do i need a full rebuild done to the engine if the engine has low compression and if i do....... what would be the cost to repair the valve ring and stuff?

Why do you have 2 threads going at the same time, please confine your questions to one thread to save people checking the other thread to compare answers.

Welcome
to the
DIRT PILE !!

Try a NEW plug. What did old plug look like? Do you have fresh gas?? You still have oil injection or are you pre-mixing gas and oil? What kind of oil are you using?

Seeing that you have very little experience, I highly suggest either a Clymers manual or find the download manual on this site. First thing I would try besides new plug is cleaning carb. Several good how-tos on here.

One more thing, PLEASE only start one thread per problem. That way answers/suggestions don't get repeated, overlooked, forgotten, missed. I:I

Compression,will make it hard to start, but an air leak will produce the other symptoms.

14mqc1y.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome
to the
DIRT PILE !!

Try a NEW plug. What did old plug look like? Do you have fresh gas?? You still have oil injection or are you pre-mixing gas and oil? What kind of oil are you using?

Seeing that you have very little experience, I highly suggest either a Clymers manual or find the download manual on this site. First thing I would try besides new plug is cleaning carb. Several good how-tos on here.

One more thing, PLEASE only start one thread per problem. That way answers/suggestions don't get repeated, overlooked, forgotten, missed. I:I

Welcome
to the
DIRT PILE !!

and the gas is about 2 weeks since i poured/added some and i just put gas i dont mix

well like i said earlier i cleaned the plug out and put carb/plug cleaner spray with my uncle and cleaned it up and made it like new we put it back together and tried to start it but unfortunate it was the same like earlier. i just the oil before that today i put SAE 10w-40 oil into the engine/transmisiioon and put 2 stroke oil into the back behind the seat.

NEW plug, clean carb, set float, clean air filter. After that, you might need to provide us with more clues, as diagnosis/repair will be more involved.

SUGGESTION...
When you say its hard to start,are you starting it using the choke?
If so...
When starting a cold engine using the choke,DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE!

Working the throttle with the choke on "defeats" the choke circuit in the carb like its not even on.
When starting,pull out the choke and kick start it until it starts (1 to 2 kicks),let it warm up a few moments,then push in the choke half way and wait a few more moments while "blipping" the throttle,then turn the choke off completely and let the engine warm up.
I have seen many prople "defeat" the choke circuit when starting the engine,all because they were monkey'n with the throttle during the starting procedure.
Also...Always warm up the engine BEFORE you ride! Let that cylinder get some heat in it before you go ripping on the throttle...ESPECIALLY is you have a forged piston.

SUGGESTION...
When you say its hard to start,are you starting it using the choke?
If so...
When starting a cold engine using the choke,DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE!

Working the throttle with the choke on "defeats" the choke circuit in the carb like its not even on.
When starting,pull out the choke and kick start it until it starts (1 to 2 kicks),let it warm up a few moments,then push in the choke half way and wait a few more moments while "blipping" the throttle,then turn the choke off completely and let the engine warm up.
I have seen many prople "defeat" the choke circuit when starting the engine,all because they were monkey'n with the throttle during the starting procedure.
Also...Always warm up the engine BEFORE you ride! Let that cylinder get some heat in it before you go ripping on the throttle...ESPECIALLY is you have a forged piston.

okay thank u so much i start it using the choke all the way pout and press the throttle a bit. from now on im going to do it the right way btw thanks for the information and one more thing, i have cleaned the spark plug and tried to start it but unfortunately it was the same as earlier please list the steps of what i should do afterward and would any of this be caused my low compression on the engine???

We seem to be going around in circles, lets get to the root of the matter.

What is the compression?

Did you fit a new plug?

Do you have a crisp bright blue spark.

Have you cleaned the petcock and carby?

Do yo have a good flow of fuel?

Have you leak tested it yet?