Tachometer

Blaster61ff

Jan 24, 2011
anyone know of a good tachometer that i could use on my 95 blaster? and how would i go about hooking it up?

How many features do you need for it?

Are you just trying to figure out how many revs you're turning? There's a small tach on ebay for about $25. It only has 2 leads, one goes to ground and the other wraps around the ignition wire

It functions as a real time tachometer and an elapsed hour meter.

If you're craving more features, you might take a look at a trail tech setup. They have a bunch more features but the setup will run you considerably more than $25.

yea i was looking into the trail techs but my one question is how would you go about hooking it up to read rpms? would it be the same way as hooking to ground and ignition wire?

They use the same style I believe.

It's really about the features vs price. The trail tech unit is nice with bunches of features but the price reflects it.

tachs on gokarts lawnmowers and the trailtech all use a wire thea goes in the sapk plug cap and it reads the number of spark and gives you an rpm based of the number of times the voltage passes through.

It reads a voltage spike directly? ouch...

An inductive tachometer only has one real drawback, the signal begins to run together at about 20K sparks per minute. There isn't enough time between the spark moments to let the voltage dissipate out of the high tension wire to register lulls in voltage between spikes.

The valley's aren't high low enough to see the mountains...

All tachometers are actually laggy, some more than others. It depends on the budget of the manufacturer as to how fast they make it respond. Obviously, most atv tachometers aren't required to respond with lightening speed and the manufacturers cut their cost accordingly.

Even the $25 ebay tach is good enough for doing some pipe/ porting tuning or to make sure you keep it under "go boom" RPM.