swinger home made

i have made like 5 of them me and my friends love them make on it not that hard my only thing make sure you have a good welder I:I

After seeing what the inside of the stock swinger looked like.....This will be much stronger. When I got the stock one cut open.....................I wondered why I was still alive. They make them as cheap as they can. I don't understand why they hold up as well as they do. Probably from lots of bracing. The inside was full of rust and the wall thickness looks to be about .090 max. The new swinger is made from .125 x 1” x 2” rectangular tube stock. I'm going to have to mill a relief for the stock axel mounts. This means the 2” thickness of the bar is thicker than stock. I did both of the rails today. I clamped them together and bored the hole in my Bridgeport, cut the hole in half, then cut to length. I did this so both sides would be identical. I should have the rest done tomorrow and will post pics.

Nice idea but it needs some gussets. The way it is I bet it fails at the shock mounting point with a few good hard landings. I thought about going this way on mine but figured I would just stretch mine then build one later. I have also thought about using1 3/4 dom round tubing because I have 80 feet on the rack in my garage.

Yeah it's pretty much made like the EBAY swing arm. That swing arm would work well also but the reason whey it cracks and fails is because it needs more work. A kid I work with bought an ebay swing arm for his warrior and when it came in I added all the gussets on that. Now a year later and alot of hard hits and it works fine.

This is as far as I got tonight. I changed the original design a bit. I used more of the 1 x 2 tube in the front. I'm going to put 90's in to make it stronger. I did all of the measurements on the Bridgeport and they're tight. I tack welded the arm and mounted it to the bike. I was off 1/16 of an inch from the front , lower tie rod , to the tip of the rear axle. No big deal. I haven't measured it since the welding was complete. This was not an easy project. It took every piece of machinery that I have and it was still hard, but it's done and worth every bit of time.
This is how I made the shock bracket. It goes all the way around the tube. Looks like a casket. Cool..........
swinger025-2.jpg

This is the old end of the swinger cut in and welded.
swinger026.jpg

Bottom side.
swinger027.jpg

The finished assembly. Yeh.....................I know the welds arent perfect but it's gonna hold up. Just needs a few more braces.
swinger024-1.jpg

Reactions: Awk08
If you gusseted it and extended it so you could but a yfz450 rear shock on it without lifting the rear you could sell some. Id be interested for sure.

never ceasing to amaze me, thats lookin sweet ken. but if i'm not mistaken the other ones i'm seein have another cross tube for side to side support back near the carrier mounts, and i'd possibly put a plate under that shock mount??? <JMO
will that bottom shock mount require some "oconnor bushings" ????
and was that stick or mig welded???
+ reps for another great diy