Swingarm Upgrade?

dkomarek

Mar 11, 2008
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some input on extended swingarms? You see the problem is, I'm a fairly big boy, 6' 2" 200lb, and I would like to upgrade my suspension and get a +3 swingarm for my Blaster, but most if not all of the aftermarket swingarms that are reasonably priced use the stock mounting location. My concern is that because of my size and hard riding style, I would be putting way to much weight on the end of the swing arm, and possibly cause it to break.

And yes, I have heared it too many times, "Why don't you just get a bigger bike?" Well, I don't want a bigger bike, infact I like the small size of the Blaster and think it's fun as hell to just throw it around and make it my biotch.

Thanks

it will be fine. im bigger then you. 6-00 260. i have a swingarm shop +4 swinger and i live it. it has yet to have a problem for me. the problem with changing the shock mounting position is the more flat the shock it, the stiffer and rougher the ride. you will be fine. dont forget to upgrade shocks too.

Thanks, thats good to know.

Do you think a YFZ rear would be a good way to go on the shock?

i did it and i love it i only know of 3 people on this forum that have it, me being the first to do the mod. Fabb_3(brother) and Outlawed Genetics also have them mounted to their blaster with the +4 swinger.

Yeah with a longer swing arm your shock will require re valving and a new spring to reep any benies from that swing arm, you will love the extra travel with a longer swinger, im only looking into a plus 2 and some Banshee carrier Axle and Rear Brakes this season.

You guys are telling me that a YZF will just bolt up with a longer swinger no valving no adjusting of the spring tensions, I'm old school when you use another shock of of another type of quad remember it was setup for an average rider that weight of the quad and average rider, also that suspension is set up for its geometry, that why I had the raptor shocks (Mojave and Blaster) valved and had springs done by TCS.
Just my 2 cents

this is what i did to make the YFz rear fit my blaster. i think it ride 10x better then stock. no more bottom outs and alot more travel with the longer swinger and shock.

I cut about 1.5" off the lower mounting bracket and drilled a new hole

I compress the spring all the way down

then it bolted right in. i just had to get 2 new bolts to mout it up, and a few washers.

You can adjust the redound and everything right there on the shock. there are tow different controls.

worked great.

OK, so I know I'm going in the wrong direction, this thread started out being about swingarms. =))

But keeping with the topic of suspension, I know everyone says that banshee front shocks aren't that much of an upgrade. But my buddy has a banshee with older (but still in great shape) Ohlins shocks on it, and he's been talking about completely redoing his suspension. I was just wondering if you guys thought it would be much better than stock banshee shocks, or if some other front shocks would still be the way to go? Keeping in mind that I could get these shock for next to nothing. I:I

ya sorry he wanted to know thought i would anwser, but the YFZ rear would be great for you too.

Yeah, I think you already helped me make up my mind on the yfz rear. I:I
I see you have banshee fronts, I was wondering what you thought about the Ohlins banshee fronts though?

u might want to beware of the swingarm shop, me and another member have the +4 swing arms and both have cracked multiple times, fixed and crack again, they say its 1/4 inch steel.....yea right , more like1/8 inch, anyway hers a pic of my broken swinger

100_2825.jpg

he told me if it was from misuse like jumping or racing, he could not replace it, he also asked me to send it to him, why should i have to pay the shipping so he could tell me that it broke from misuse!!!! battbike has the same swinger and his even cracked, not as bad as mine but WTF, since i fixed and reinforced it, i havent had 1 problem with it!!

the banshee ohlins would be a nice addition to your blaster. They should be fully adjustable and rebuildable. If I were you, i'd get them.