Swing arm or wheelie bar?

zraffz

Jul 26, 2009
I am building a pavement drag quad using a street bike motor. What is the significance in using a longer swing arm as opposed to just building a wheelie bar? I plan on just designing a plate where the rear handle is on the blaster and attaching the wheelie bar to that... or do I still need to extend the swing arm? Chances are good I will never use the quad for anything else besides drag racing.

A longer arm would make it harder to tail end as the weight would be centred further forward.
A wheelie bar will stop it flipping over altogether. I wouldn't think a longer arm would make much difference for dragging except for stability.

A wheelie what? Dude Swingarm!!!! I dunno what a wheelie bar is exzactly but i would probably get beat up riding one of them where im from.. Strictly drag might be a good idea other than that...Stretch the Swinger......!!!!!!!!

A wheelie what? Dude Swingarm!!!! I dunno what a wheelie bar is exzactly but i would probably get beat up riding one of them where im from.. Strictly drag might be a good idea other than that...Stretch the Swinger......!!!!!!!!
I don't think stretching the swing arm is going to stop a 185 hp blaster from pulling the front end off the ground even at like 80 MPH... unless it was like 2 feet longer.

wheelie bar definalty get the wheely bar long and like 2 inchs off the ground!!! good luch

naaah if you just add a wheely bar while shifting it will pop wheelies but who cares your on 4 wheels and make it really close 2 the grond so the wheelies arent that tall

Well if I lengthen the swingarm how much does it really help the quad? Let's say I decide to rip around through the woods or a field in this thing when it's all done... how should I set it up?

you could put a long swing arm on it for trails and a removable wheelie bar for the drag race and instead of geting different suspension just rachet strap it down so when you trail ride just take off the dtraps hope this helps good luck

I don't think stretching the swing arm is going to stop a 185 hp blaster from pulling the front end off the ground even at like 80 MPH... unless it was like 2 feet longer.

Oh shhhhhhhitttt.. Okay dude your right .. Damn i shouldnt even comment on a 186hp blaster... Wow ya man thats some powerful stuff.. Would love to see a pic of one though..

We'll see what happens. I probably will do a removable wheelie bar so I can take it on trails. I figure I'm just going to do offsets, wheelie bar, and extend the swing arm and when I wanna putt around on it I'll pull the wheelie bar off.
Why would I want to compress the front suspension when I drag race though? Is it for a lower center of gravity/stability/aerodynamics?

We'll see what happens. I probably will do a removable wheelie bar so I can take it on trails. I figure I'm just going to do offsets, wheelie bar, and extend the swing arm and when I wanna putt around on it I'll pull the wheelie bar off.
Why would I want to compress the front suspension when I drag race though? Is it for a lower center of gravity/stability/aerodynamics?

i would say forget the trails those motors weigh far to much for a trail quad you would be bottoming out all the time.
that is a drag only type of a setup

Ok now I guess I have more questions, totally unrelated but:
Is a Banshee frame aluminum? I am trying to avoid using an aluminum frame because I only have a MIG welder... I couldn't even tell you if my blaster frame is aluminum or not, I haven't even taken a look.

But I can pick up a rolling banshee frame for the area of $400-500 right now and it is obvioulsy a stronger and better all around starting ground for a bike motor.