Suspension questions

Feb 8, 2015
manhattan illinois
I just bought an 06 blaster b/c my 04 had a bent frame. Now that I can do what I want, I was looking into the elka stage 3 shocks. If I run alba +3 or +6 a arms and a lonestar +4 swing arm, do I need any sort of extensions to get the shocks to fit into the extended parts? I have never done a build before so I am clueless about what I have to do if I want to change these parts. I just want the extension so the bike is a little more stable. I had issues with rolling my 04 because it was so narrow. Any help in what I need to do, would be appreciated.

If they are "standard travel" arms get stock length shocks. If they are "long travel" have to ask manufacturer what length shocks. No other parts should be needed.

If it is an aftermarket swing arm made for the blaster it should come already set for a stock length rear shock. As far as the front shocks it is going to depend on what A arms you get like Larry's Shee said.

I don't think alba makes long travel A arms so in that case you would need a stock length shock. What other a arms are you looking into?

im not sure about the chain/brakelines and tierods?
depends on what you are going to do:)

a cheap way and easy way to widen it would be wheel spacers/stud extenders.

but the best way is the parts listed above:)

Last edited:
I had wheel spacers on my old one. I was looking into a Lonestar +4 swingarm. And either alba +3 or American star ones. I want elka stage 3 shocks for all 3. And I'm getting a dura blue adjustable rear axle. I figured it'd be the same length long as I didn't do long travel. Which I don't want long travel ones. I'm not looking to get too wide. We ride tight trails.

$800 for elkas (sale or something? new prices?)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELKA-FRONT-...Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e0c31b55&vxp=mtr

$420 a-arms with tie rods (long travel vs. standard doesnt make it any wider. +3 means 6" total wider)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Blas...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d550f1344&vxp=mtr

$250 swinger (not lonestar but a lot of people have these) i suggest +2 for tight trails. easier to whip
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-BLAS...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a83e7a668&vxp=mtr

$200 for tusk axle (all 3 brands are the same. different stickers)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Tusk-Ad...Parts_Accessories&hash=item418600de32&vxp=mtr

so in all, $1670. plus you will need brakelines, i assume if you dont have nice tires, you will want them now...
banshee rear rims are a good upgrade, get 9-10" aluminum ones. www.rockymountainatvmc.com is pretty good on tires.
my tech4 20" with 9" douglas rolled lip rims was $250 mounted and sealed.

Wow I was looking at getting most of that stuff! Thanks! My tires are in really good shape so I won't need those. I found alba a arms for 250 with tie rods and all. Sounds like fair prices to me. I'm just hoping it will all mount right up for me and not have too much trouble.

So no matter what I'll need new brake lines?

I would get ASR. i would literally wait 6 months to save money for asr over albas crap.

ASR are proven, and their customer service is next to none. find the thread about people needing new ball joints and they got them free

I would get ASR. i would literally wait 6 months to save money for asr over albas crap.

ASR are proven, and their customer service is next to none. find the thread about people needing new ball joints and they got them free
I second that. I got mine a bit ago and love them. I switched to banshee spindles so I could run the upper/lower sealed ball joints. I also scored a pair of raptor 350 spindles that work with those arms and front hubs if your interested.

Reactions: motolifeislove
+4 swing arm may be a bit much for tight trails. Or maybe go with a swing arm extansion? With the Alba arms your brake lines should be fine but may need to re route like stated. There were some issues with the Alba A arms but I think they fixed the problem.??

Something to do with having to add a sleeve in the spindle or something? It was in a thread somewhere but I cant find it. Imo if you get new a arms you should go with sealed ball joints not heims. Just call the seller an they should have what you need.

Reactions: motolifeislove
i will say this about the ASR arms there tough i took and flat sided an aluminum rim after catching it on the end of a 7 foot long 6 inch round log in about mid 3rd gear sending me to the ground in a hurry didn't bend the arms nothing amazingly the frame was still straight after that it took about a month and a half before my ribs stopped giving me crap at least i had already put 50 miles on that day and i still rode out of the woods with the screwed rim

Damn. I found some American star plus 3 plus 1 long travel arms and the elka stage 3 set. So for about 1300 bucks I can get everything I want. I'll need new brake lines too but those aren't too expensive. Only plus side is. I have to have knee surgery in a week so I'll be down for a few months so I'll have plenty of time to get my quad done without having to rush and mess something up.