Somebody give me some blood pressure medicine!

SulphurDave

Aug 21, 2011
Sulphur, LA
Well if you didn't see my original thread when I joined here it is http://www.blasterforum.com/introductions-8/noob-south-42070/

Now.. a problem.

After getting the bike running and having a little fun with it with the kids for the past week I decided to work on some maintenance.

This morning I fired it up first crank, got it warm then changed out the oil in the case with fresh oil. Put fresh 2-cycle oil in the oil tank. Took the airbox lid off too like some suggested. Feeling good, I fired it up to check for leaks, everything checked out. The intake sound changed with the lid off but still ran great. Took the kids for a little ride around the yard. Felt great and peppy sounded like a fine tuned machine. Parked it, decided to remove the ugly square headlight. With wires dangling I started it up again I think to move it under the shade. Still everything great. Tucked all the wires and was about to load in it my truck to take the kids riding on the beach and then bluuugghhhh.... Damn thing started falling on its face when I revved it. Barely would idle. I'd kick it over blip the throttle a bunch of times and would not rev up and sounded like the carb was flooding itself. I tap on the carb thinking maybe the float was stuck that did nothing. Played around with the idle mixture screw that didn't seem to do anything except killed it when I screwed it all the way in. I'd back it out a couple turns. Fire it up and "sometimes" it would sound like it was fixed and revved up freely sounding good again and then within seconds go back to bluggghhh blugghhhh falling on it's face. Took the carb back off and checked everything and everything looked normal. Put it all back together and I remember when I turned the fuel valve on the carb overflowed out of all the tubes for like probably a minute of just overflowed gas until I pulled the choke valve then it stopped. Pushed the choke back in and no fuel overflow anymore. But now I get nothing. Won't crank at all. I do remember the first carb clean I did on it the first time the carb overflowed like that for a little bit then stopped. But soon after that I got it running fine and has been running fine for a week since. Until now and had to tell my kids no trip to the beach.

you need to rejet if you take the air lid off. It may be the TOR's making your Blaster bog. Unhook it from the brake lever and carb. The carb should not overflow if it's done rite.

Never read anything that said had to rejet if I take the lid off. If I would have known that I never would have taken it off in the first place. I put the lid back on, checked the spark plug it was very oily black (go figure), put a new one in, choked it... nothing. Choke in... nothing. Played with idle mixture screw... nothing. I'm tired of kicking on it. This was a waste of a Saturday.

Never read anything that said had to rejet if I take the lid off. If I would have known that I never would have taken it off in the first place.

Don't know WHAT you read and WHERE you read it, but it was not here. Any of our threads that discuss running with the lid off clearly go further into jetting. Think about it bro????

2 strokes are fueled by 2 things, FUEL and AIR. If you increase either of these you are gonna have to jet the machine to compensate, its just common sense, let alone engine science, period.

With your lid off you have to go UP a MINIMUM of 2 sizes on your MAIN/HIGH speed jet, to begin to compensate for the additional air charge in the mixture. BUT, that is just a basis to get you started, the tune process is going to be based on plug chops, reads, how the machine is running, etc, etc. With the lid off, and not changing jet you run LEAN, which means HOT, which means, BOOM. Piston gone.

Careful with what you are doing with not having the knowledge or correct info, before the kids REALLY get a break from the blaster, while you rebuild.

I am agreeing with above notes, think it is coming from the TORS. Either that or REEDS, also sounds like you have a failing reed petal, possibly dislodged, etc, very common for these symptoms.

Check/follow the TORS removal thread below I linked in yellow, and follow procedure to delete, will only help for sure. Then pull your carb/intake and inspect the reed cage, think you will not need to go much further than these steps.

Good luck, and don't blow anything up. ;)

TORS DELETE

Last edited:
Tell me if I have everything unhooked to where I can at least test if the TORS is my problem with it not starting before I go completely removing everything. If everything is in fact disconnected then my problem still exists.

IMG_20110827_184734.jpg

IMG_20110827_184755.jpg

Yeah looks about right, just be sure to follow that TORS delete DIY to the T, it's failproof.

I would pull the carb/intake, then pull the reed cage and inspect reeds, think that is where your problem exists. Also can pull the 4 screws from the bottom of the float bowl and check float clearance...

Last edited:
yes, that tors is unhooked, check them reeds as suggested
it also sounds that if the floats were stuck open, it may have flooded the engine with fuel also, that will require removing the pipe, and kicking it to remove most of the fuel in the crankcase, and i also saw once, towing it in gear will evacuate that fuel in there ?????

check them reeds as suggested

I guess I will but I still don't see how going from running great this morning for an hour or so, parking it for 10 mins and then now it won't even start. What the hell happened so bad that now it won't even start? With a new plug and TORS now unplugged. Ya know? Just frustrated.

First thing I would do is change the plug.

That was the first thing I did.

I put the lid back on, checked the spark plug it was very oily black (go figure), put a new one in, choked it... nothing. Choke in... nothing. Played with idle mixture screw... nothing

it also sounds that if the floats were stuck open, it may have flooded the engine with fuel also, that will require removing the pipe, and kicking it to remove most of the fuel in the crankcase

What about just sitting for a day or so to dry itself out? (If that indeed happened)

What about just sitting for a day or so to dry itself out? (If that indeed happened)

nope, the crankcase is not exposed to outside air, it will not evaporate
check them reeds, if they're intact
unhook the pipe to see if there is fuel present there, or if any spits out when kicked

So far everything is checking out. Brand new plug, the reeds look fine, I unbolted the pipe and kicked it a few times no gas came out (like awk08 suggested) and the TORS is disconnected. What now?

I put everything back together carefully making sure it was all right leaving TORS unhooked and it still does absolutely nothing. I hooked all the TORS crap back up just to see and still nothing. Put a new plug in it AGAIN and nothing. Key is on, fresh gas, new 2-stroke oil, carburetor is spotless.. I just don't get how this bike has been sitting in 1 spot never cranked for 5 years and all I did was clean the carb and new spark plug and it ran like a scalded ape for a week. Then ran it yesterday morning for an hour, parked it for 10 mins now it's completely dead after going through everything again. What a pisser weekend.

Yeah, reeds look good, I was expecting a broken petal, dislodged, etc.
Hmmmm, faulty kill switch??? Dead CDI????
You get no spark right??? nothing?
Check ground on CDI?

Pull plug, put it into the plug cap from CDI, touch plug tip to metal and kick it a few times with ignition on, etc, see arcing on plug at all???

Check spark , ohm out the coil , no ones really touching on he ran the thing super lean for an hour and shut it down . I think it's time for a compression test .