snowmobile engine swaps?

borednstreched

Nov 19, 2011
coulmubs n.e.
ive searched but havent found much. anyone swapped one, or seen/rode a swap from a snowmobile? doesnt matter what atv it was swapped into.

the motor im looking to swap is a 76 polaris txl 340cc twin cyl water cooled 2stroke. any input? or suggestions

ive searched but havent found much. anyone swapped one, or seen/rode a swap from a snowmobile? doesnt matter what atv it was swapped into.

the motor im looking to swap is a 76 polaris txl 340cc twin cyl water cooled 2stroke. any input? or suggestions

Most sno mo swaps end up at the drag strip and I don't know if I'd call what they do "riding" as much as it holding on for dear life....

Are you talking about swapping it into a blaster frame? Engine fitment and pipe routing and construction would be a MAJOR obstacle.

Most sno mo swaps end up at the drag strip and I don't know if I'd call what they do "riding" as much as it holding on for dear life....

Are you talking about swapping it into a blaster frame? Engine fitment and pipe routing and construction would be a MAJOR obstacle.

anything can be done with the money, knoledge and skills though, id like to see one done

anything can be done with the money, knoledge and skills though, id like to see one done

Anything can be done, I'll agree with that. The problem with a snomo engine is that the engine and transmission are not in one case with any attention paid to how long the assembly is. The CVT belt drive takes up ~14" center to center and there simply isn't that much room in the "engine bay" of a blaster frame. In order to put a snomo engine into a blaster frame, you'd have to lengthen the center section and then none of the plastics would fit correctly and the rider position wouldn't be very comfortable. Not huge drawbacks for a ridged dragback or hillshooter but not very handy for a regular quad.

Anything can be done, I'll agree with that. The problem with a snomo engine is that the engine and transmission are not in one case with any attention paid to how long the assembly is. The CVT belt drive takes up ~14" center to center and there simply isn't that much room in the "engine bay" of a blaster frame. In order to put a snomo engine into a blaster frame, you'd have to lengthen the center section and then none of the plastics would fit correctly and the rider position wouldn't be very comfortable. Not huge drawbacks for a ridged dragback or hillshooter but not very handy for a regular quad.

yea, agreed, it would be one fast blaster if it was done though, but like you said it wouldint be much of a trail quad, and the plastics wouldint fit, but like you said it could see it be a great dragger or hillshooter or even a nice ride in the sand dunes.

Snomo swaps are totally doable and I'm not trying to be a "naysayer" with this one.... just saying be ready for the compromises you'll inevitably have to make in order to hit your goal.... Most of those compromises will lead you down a path away from a trail bike and towards the drag strip.

If you want to head for the strip, get ~650cc polaris triple and port it. Build a 4130 stretched frame around it and slap some blaster plastics down on it. It would be as much a blaster as some of the "banshees" I've seen at the strip.

Snomo swaps are totally doable and I'm not trying to be a "naysayer" with this one.... just saying be ready for the compromises you'll inevitably have to make in order to hit your goal.... Most of those compromises will lead you down a path away from a trail bike and towards the drag strip.

If you want to head for the strip, get ~650cc polaris triple and port it. Build a 4130 stretched frame around it and slap some blaster plastics down on it. It would be as much a blaster as some of the "banshees" I've seen at the strip.

that would be a bad a$$ blaster, also a deathtrap lol

that would be a bad a$$ blaster, also a deathtrap lol

Well, that's part of the "compromises" I'm talking about. Any snomo swap is going to be something of a deathtrap.

Not to mention the extra weight of the engine and hacked frame to get it to fit....

The CVT system creates a VERY effective flywheel (pushing the back wheels) AND even some gyroscopic effects. Any direction other than straight ahead and the CVT system fights the turn!

Most sno mo swaps end up at the drag strip and I don't know if I'd call what they do "riding" as much as it holding on for dear life...
Im ok with that. The fab is no big deal. Im a welder by trade. The only thing im worried about is the separate trans. I haven't checked to see if it is . But the motor looks like its might fit pretty easy.

Every snowmobile I have ever seen has a CVT transmission and then a jackshaft that crosses to the otherside with a brake located somewhere along it's length. Most don't have any gear driven (which may or not work well) transmission to speak of.

While this lends itself to simplicity, this is a fairly "lengthy" system and won't fit into a normal of even semi normal blaster frame. The least I could see you stretch it in the middle would be 10" and that would be with some really trick pipework that would fit on the motor and not hit the twin downtubes or tires...

yes you would need to gear up some sort of jackshaft that ran a sprocket up front to use the atvs original chain drive setup. this is cuz you cant run a sled belt to the rear wheels aswell as the secondary clutch adds to transfer the engine speed.

aswell i wouldnt recommend any old sled motors from the 70's. problem prone and not much performance, bit better motors in the 80's. ELANS FOR THE WINNN!!!

Here is one forsale up here in WI :
Ready to race drag quad
BTW its quick. It beat my buddy's trx370r and a 1000ft radar run on a lake in winter.

First thing one should notice is the approximately ....... 10"s added to the middle of the frame to fit that in there.

The other thing one should notice is the INSANELY large rear sprocket needed to get the gearing within reason. Most snomo drag quads have like 70 tooth rear sprockets. With "normal" sized tires on it, the chain will nearly be dragging the ground....

Again, not that it can't be done (^^^^^^^ obviously it can be) but there will certain concessions made that will limit it's usefulness beyond a dragstrip or other prepared track.

I saw a video a long time ago of a utility quad with a snowmobile engine in it... I'll try my hardest to pull it up.