Should I get a blaster? (part 2)

Mar 16, 2011
Utica, New York
So there is this really nice blaster in my area. It's an 02, all stock. It needs a new rear brake caliper and that's it. From the looks of it it's very clean. Should I offer to trade my TTR-250? I got my bike 3 weeks ago now, I really want a blaster but I think it's too soon and I should probably keep my bike for a little while longer. What do you guys think?

Its hard to say, what do you think your TTR is worth. An all stock 02 blaster in NY is probably worth around a thousand bucks depending on the shape it is in.

Its hard to say, what do you think your TTR is worth. An all stock 02 blaster in NY is probably worth around a thousand bucks depending on the shape it is in.

My bike is a 1999 TTR-250. I picked it up for 1,000. The blaster is all stock, and from the pictures he sent, the blaster looks absolutely mint.

Got any pics of the Blaster? Personally, Id make the trade. Stock-for-stock, you'll have more fun on a Blaster IMO. I got to ride a TTR a couple years ago and got bored with it rather quickly. Good bike, but not my thing. The Blaster is a lot more exciting to ride and has way more mod potential than does the TTR, especially when it comes to improving engine power output.

A 2-valve, SOHC 4-stroke engine is rather limited, but you can poke, stroke, pipe, carb, and BBK a Blaster engine to twice or more its stock HP.

Like any trade, be sure to do your usual checks and inspect the bike well before trading. That dead rear brake caliper is no big deal to fix or replace, but weak compression or piston slap (which you can't detect with just a visual check) will cost a lot more to fix if you wind up with said issues in a trade bike.

I don't know what it's like around your way but here a bike is a hot trade. If I had a bike up for trade, I would get 20 Quad offers in a week.

I have pictures but I just feel weird posting someone elses machine on the internet. I think I'm going to just stick to the ttr, Because it was a gift and i only got it 3 weeks ago. I'm just going to work over the summer and get a blaster eventually. I'll stick around this website tho, it's neat :)

Here is my bike if anybody was interested
0313131730.jpg

Wouldn't be cool trading off a gift, especially so soon. I like your idea of saving and just buying one. That TTR is as reliable as a rock, little bit of maintenance and it will last practically forever. Can that be registered for the road?

I have pictures but I just feel weird posting someone elses machine on the internet. I think I'm going to just stick to the ttr, Because it was a gift and i only got it 3 weeks ago. I'm just going to work over the summer and get a blaster eventually. I'll stick around this website tho, it's neat :)

I am with Larry on this, anyone that cares about you enough to give you a $1000 bike deserves some respect for their gift. Enjoy the hell out of that bike, take great care of it, and it will teach you a lot about riding. Change the oil and the filters and that bike will last forever. Reliable and tough enough to lend to a friend if you want someone to ride with. A big mistake is starting out with something too powerful or too big or too unreliable. Learn to wheelie the TTR, cross logs, plant your weight through your feet, do maximum throttle around the track with it and you will learn things, more than you would learn from a YZ250.

Oh, did I mention bike riding is 90% rider?
In rough going a good rider on a TTR250 will get ahead of a novice on a YZ250 every time.

Stick around here and learn all you can about the lightest, cheapest, most easily modified sport quad out there. Keep watching the ads and saving your money. You'll end up with a reliable go anywhere bike and a kicka$$ quad.

Steve

I think you prettymuch made up your mind already,, and like stated posts before me those ttrs are great for learning on and go forever (my son had a 90 and rode the heck out of it and so did i) well not forever but you know what i mean. There like the warrior of bikes.. they just keep on going.. keep the ttr,,enjoy it and save for a blaster.. :)