shifting??????

the clutch was not put there just to pull off....

Yep and there’s many many times when you need it, but it’s not always necessary.

I used to ALWAYS use my clutch for all my shifting, and then awhile back I started to not use it sometimes I am a faster more aggressive rider because of it.

Do whatever your comfortable with.... I can’t tell you how to ride and neither can anyone else..

Sorry idk whats up the dark text... sorry

Can you imagine trying to find neutral every time you wanted to stop for just a sec? or trying to take off without the clutch? Thats what its there for.
You see the same results every time this question is asked you get two schools of people. Those of us who have actually been working on these machines for a while now and have torn them apart and seen how the gear box works multiple times and can put them back together with are eyes closed and know the torque specs by heart. And then you have the group that swears the clutch is a must every time because there dad or there uncle or Joe blow down the street says so!

But 1995blaster I understand your hesitation, Money is tight everywhere. But lucky for you I'm not one to go running my mouth just for the sake of running it. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is so to speak. Between now and the time I leave for basic training (Nov 3rd) ride as hard as you want and shift just like you were before this thread started If your gear set goes out from not using your clutch I'll send you one of mine
08-13-09_0834.jpg

Dakota read the title under your name your a noob until it says otherwise!

some one better safe this j/k

I also some time's change gears with out using the clutch but onley if need be...

any how if only there was a "POLL" put up

Polls can be very deceiving. Sometimes the majority just means all the fools are on the same side.
The Blaster uses constant mesh spur cut gears and dogged engagement. It is not the same but very similar to a sequential dogbox tranny like used in full race prep track cars, and rally cars. If your thinking to yourself "If these gearboxes are so great why dont street cars all have them?" The answer is simple they are too noisey turn your speakers up and listen to this video of a bmw with a sequential gearbox with spur cut gears. (also called streight cut gears)

Last edited by a moderator:
ya i watched the whole thing, he's really good haha. He drove past just about the entire field i think

i think you can up shift to 2, 3 , 4... with no clutch but, i would clutch down shifting

Just learn to shift fast with the clutch lever its fairly easy and just makes sense.I personally use the clutch every shift even when I rev match and downshift, it prolly won't kill your trans if you accidently do it but using the clutch is the way to go.

Ok. I see a lot of comments saying use the clutch. If you are one of these hard core clutch users. Please, explain to me why. Give sound Mechanical reasoning as to why it would cause damage. (No, because the manual says so does not count). Preferably someone with a working mechanical knowledge of the blasters transmission. And not just because your uncles neighbors brother says so and he's a ASE certified master tech and grand dragon of the local klan and blah blah blah!!!

Has anyone here ever damaged the gearbox on there blaster in anyway? Other than having a forign object get caught in the gears. I had a bearing on the counterbalance shaft scatter on me one time and it pulled part of the race from the bearing down into the teeth of the gearbox. But the damage was only superfacial it still worked just fine.

If you really think about it the gearbox on a blaster really is about the only thing that dont give us problems at sometime or another. It really is quite a stout little assebly.

I'm not just trying to be a smartarse either I'f you have damage lets see it

too ride wheelies though the gears u cant use the clutch you just shift. it is safe if you are at the right rpms you want to let off the gas when u shift or just give it the right amount of gas so it is smooth and dont have to force it

for years sence my ds 80 days i often didnt use the clutch and every bike since has been fine.. although i use it about 90% of the time now..

well i down shioft with the cluch and take off duh but i just drive and when i shift i let off of te gas and push up and i dont hear any noises or feel any hesation <spell>

the gears are not sycronized. There for you do not HAVE to use the clutch most racers dont use the clutch because it takes to much time compared to not using it. the times when it is bad to not use it is if you dont know what your doing. if you are forcing it through the gear then you are doing it wrong it should go with ease.

Really the only time you can hurt this transmission is if you try to shift it while your not moving ( With or without the clutch) it can bend the shift forks. You should never have to jam it into gear. If everything is in good working order this should almost never happen. If I get a chance in the next couple days I'll try to get some pics of a tranny and how it works to give you a better example of how this could happen although it is very unlikely while your moving. as long as the gears are not under load

No, not at all. if your stopped and you cant get it to go into gear DONT try to force it. Just rock it back and fourth a little bit and it should pop right in. what happens is when the tranny stops turning and you try to shift it the dogs and slots on the gears can be out of alignment. there is no way you are going to force it in, all that will happen is with enough force the shift forks will bend. By rocking the bike you rotate the gears a bit and they pop in as they would if you were riding.