Shifting problems please help

Noxtol

Aug 15, 2018
So today when riding my 93 blaster it was going good all morning, while riding back I had to turn sharp and slipped on mud and sent it into a donut, it was in to high of a gear so it stalled, no biggie.
I started it back up and when I went to shift it back in to first, it never stopped, it kept letting me kick it down a click for ever, same with up and acts as if it’s in neutral . Could this be a clutch issue, gear issue, of shift forks issue?

Last edited:
more than likely a shift star or shift rod/pawl issue, both of those are behind the clutch basket and only under the clutch cover, not internal.
time to pull the clutch cover and clutch pack and see whats going on behind there.
remember you need to be spinning the wheels to help shift thru all the gears, so get the assend jack up

more than likely a shift star or shift rod/pawl issue, both of those are behind the clutch basket and only under the clutch cover, not internal.
time to pull the clutch cover and clutch pack and see whats going on behind there.
remember you need to be spinning the wheels to help shift thru all the gears, so get the assend jack up
So I’m going to be looking at it today, how will I be able to tell if it is the shift star that is bad, I’m sorry for the questions I’ve just been lucky and haven’t dealt with transmission much

So I’m going to be looking at it today, how will I be able to tell if it is the shift star that is bad, I’m sorry for the questions I’ve just been lucky and haven’t dealt with transmission much

IIRC, pre 03-06 the shift star is held by a screw to the shift drum. The screw comes loose. Clean with brake cleaner and red loctite it. This is a common problem.
After 03 they are welded on.

I would try as Awk suggested. Raise the wheels and either spin or rock the wheels back and forth. You might even have to shift up first, then shift down. This may save you a lot of work.

This is quite common to happen stalling in a high gear. Rock it and shift down at same time.

Last edited:
So I took it apart, I sheared the key in the shift star, it’s completely gone lol. But I can’t find anywhere online what size the key is, do you know?

Reactions: lorenzblaster93
So I took it apart, I sheared the key in the shift star, it’s completely gone lol. But I can’t find anywhere online what size the key is, do you know?
when this happened to me, I just found a piece of steel, and made my own key. Worked great.