shifter problems

dakine97

Jan 4, 2012
my shifter pilot rod is striped and i dont know if its in the case or on the shifter peice itself. It catches in all the gears but i have a bout an inch of play between first neutral and second gear.

my shifter pilot rod is striped and i dont know if its in the case or on the shifter peice itself. It catches in all the gears but i have a bout an inch of play between first neutral and second gear.

probably the splines on the shaft or the splines inside the shifter pedal cup. either one is an easy fix, but the shifter rod will require at least taking the clutch cover off.

thanks guys i need this thing fixed before summer roles around cant be missing 2nd off the line ugh i cant imagine it

Inspect the splines inside shift lever and on the shift shaft (not pilot shaft) for wear. If they are ok then you have to look inside clutch cover for wear/damage to claw or shift star. If you can't find anything there problem could be shift fork

ive had this issue too, what ive found to work is replace the bolt with a longer one, tighten it up as best as you can then on the spare thread at the bottom, whip on an extra nut, then tighten that up too. Then check the main one again and take up the thread. The idea is to pinch the shifter onto the rod as tight as possible

ive had this issue too, what ive found to work is replace the bolt with a longer one, tighten it up as best as you can then on the spare thread at the bottom, whip on an extra nut, then tighten that up too. Then check the main one again and take up the thread. The idea is to pinch the shifter onto the rod as tight as possible
Im having this problem can i just Weld it or even drill a hole through the lever and rod and add a Bolt and nut because the nut was added already with a longer bolt

Attachments

• IMG_20140212_104150.jpg
    IMG_20140212_104150.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 192
Im having this problem can i just Weld it or even drill a hole through the lever and rod and add a Bolt and nut because the nut was added already with a longer bolt
Drilling through shaft will weaken it. IF splines on both are still good file the gap on shifter wider so it will clamp more/tighter.

Welding would be a last resort/emergency repair (to save weekend/or race day). IF you choose to do this unplug cdi and stator, place ground clamp as close to weld as possible (on shifter in this case).

Reactions: roody23
Drilling through shaft will weaken it. IF splines on both are still good file the gap on shifter wider so it will clamp more/tighter.

Welding would be a last resort/emergency repair (to save weekend/or race day). IF you choose to do this unplug cdi and stator, place ground clamp as close to weld as possible (on shifter in this case).
Sorry i do not know what splines are new to this but its striped to the point were i can turn it till the case stops me