Can’t shift past second after rebuild

Laney

Nov 16, 2020
So, I rebuilt my engine, new clutch plates and piston etc. since rebuilding the shifter won’t move past second gear. Goes into neutral, first and second but won’t move past second even when riding. Any ideas. Do I need to strip the engine again.

Did you happen to use a new oil drain plug ? we've seen longer aftermarket plugs interfere with the gears
is the shift pawl and shift star in correct ?
I'd pull the clutch cover and clutch pack if needed to see the shift shaft/pawl in action up/down thru the gears, fix/replace if needed, spinning the front drive gear will help it shift when not running, then ......
you should have spun the front gear and tested shifting thru the gears before finalizing the rebuild, and you'll most likely have to split the cases again

Reactions: Slydog
Looks like I have to split the cases agin. The drain plug is the same as before the rebuild. I partially stripped the motor on the clutch side and I can’t see anything that jumps out at me. I have tried to download the Ken o Connor videos but they are no longer available. Does anyone know of any videos that will help me with the transition and general rebuilding for future reference.

Did you happen to use a new oil drain plug ? we've seen longer aftermarket plugs interfere with the gears
is the shift pawl and shift star in correct ?
I'd pull the clutch cover and clutch pack if needed to see the shift shaft/pawl in action up/down thru the gears, fix/replace if needed, spinning the front drive gear will help it shift when not running, then ......
you should have spun the front gear and tested shifting thru the gears before finalizing the rebuild, and you'll most likely have to split the cases again
Found the problem. It was the gear stopper assembly. The lever was worn and jamming. Problem solved.
Thanks for your advise.