Serious porting questions?

Well, better start "collecting" jugs for expeimentation. Somewhere there's a thread "Tripple ports and what they are (or something like that). Do any reasearch yet? Might start with a less adventurous project and see how it works. Basically speaking you want the exhaust port to cover 100% of the bore, in reality that might not be practical.

Seems to me that at one time builders would cut transfers off Banshee cyls to weld up enough meat to cut triples in stock cyl, then weld transfer back on. I did a set of 550 Arctic Cat jugs that I spent $100 to have the outside of the intakes welded so I could hog it out for 44x48 oval bored carbs.

couple things to avoid, square edges on floor of transfers, ripples in portwalls, sudden changes in area, changing angles of port roofs (transfers) , excessively wide exhaust or square corners on it, and short circuting of transfer to ex. Wide ex is good for power but VERY hard on piston and rings. Ok for engine that will be torn down regularly fo inspection/freshening up. You would want main ex open just slightly ahead of tripples.

Have fun and keep everyone informed. BTW, what do you have for grinding?

Thanks, good post. I have an air grinder with a multitude of size & shapes of carbide cutters, a box full of emory scrolls & some flapped wheels. I also have a right angle adaptor but I'm waiting for a chuck for it to adapt a shank to. I really need to find a totally trashed jug to try on, I really don't wanna take a chance with a good one. At the same time I've read a post Where Ken O'connor said he doesn't add the tripples. As for research.., I've been doing quite a bit.