Serious Help Needed :( carb problems, Newbie...

J4M1E333

Oct 11, 2009
North Wales
Hi all, im new to this whole forum thing so some constructive critism would be greatly welcomed!!

I bought an 04/05 blaster a few weeks ago and used it on a field for a few goes, as it had a bottom end rebuild, it ran fine.
today I took it out, I warmed it up as usual and then set off up the fire roads, i was going through the gears quite quickly and it was fine, went upto 6th, I was at WOT in 6th when it died, came to a complete hault.

I checked the usual, petrol, spark plug and everything is fine, a nice healthy spark, spot on compression.

I stripped the carb and everything seemed normal, i kicked it and it start but is really bogged, with no throttle response and only runs with choke half on. any other position and it dies. also when running a spray of petrol comes out the carb on the intake side as the air filter was off, it did this a couple of times and now will not start.

from the look of it the TORS system has been removed, but i think its had a new carb after looking at pics on here and the carbs arent the same, this one only has 1 screw on the choke side, right side when looking at the quad front on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Very frustrated :p

Thanks, is the main jet like a golden coloured nut thats in the float chamber? also, by intake side i mean like the air filter side, just clarifying :)

230 on the main jet and needle clip in the middle position, am i right in thinking that this is the stock set up? also took the reed cage out, and one of the reeds has completely snapped off so im 95% certain this is the cause, Thanks!!

Thanks a lot, finally bought some boyesen pro-series ones today along with a new k&n airfilter, so i can now remove the airlid, will moving the clip on the needle down a position be adequate for the airlid removal?

Thanks a lot, finally bought some boyesen pro-series ones today along with a new k&n airfilter, so i can now remove the airlid, will moving the clip on the needle down a position be adequate for the airlid removal?

it wont be adequate, you will need about a 270, 280, 290 main jet IMO but it all hangs off about your altitude

ahhhh right, :) do i need to change the pilot aswell? by alititude you mean how high i am from sea level? im virtually at sea level, im like 5 mins away from the coast, in the Uk.

if the bike is all stock...with just a k&n and reed and lid removed 250..260 should be fine....pilot should be fine