ruff ride

myra

Apr 1, 2008
just picked up a 2001 blaster. It rides very ruff. You can fill every bump. Also it shakes alot. Was wondering if this is normal. I have a 2007 fourtrax that is totally different ride. I know that they are 2 different machines, is there anything to do to make the blaster ride any better. It's stock.

That doesn't sound normal to me.
The Blaster is a very light machine and the stock shocks are not real good, but mine wasn't as bumpy as your's seems to be when I had the stock shocks on. It will probably never be as smooth as your fourtrax because the bigger utility atvs have lots of soft suspension travel, but the blaster shouldn't shake you to pieces. Maybe check to see if your shocks are seized or worn out. If they are set to the stiffest setting, you could also try turning the adjusters to a softer setting.

losend shocks helps out alot. I was wondering if the ball joints are shot if this would effect the ride.

every part of the suspension will affect the handling characteristics of your machine... check for worn bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, blown shocks. guaranteed it will be at least one of those.

Should there be a little play in the ball joint. When I jacked my front end up, I can move the tire a little bit more on one side than the other. Would you recommend starting out by replacing the bushings or going for new a arms and ball joints. One of the seals around the ball joint is cracked on the upper a arm.

if its sloppy it needs fixed, the tierod ends could be shot too, but it sounds like you need new balljoints, a good tip: get extended a arms if you can afford it, the blaster is so short wheelbased, and handles real squirrley anyways they really should be widened out, but a cheaper way is to fix your stock stuff and buy wheel spacers, there rather cheap and real durrable.