RM Stator - air gaps

Linkwarr

Nov 15, 2011
Asbury, NJ
I installed a higher wattage RM Stator and now the bike bogs right off idle. It'll start and idle but as soon as you get on the gas the bike just dies (boooog what it sounds like). I've been all over with jetting, and I'm certain that it's not the issue. The stator however, was a poor fit.. The white wrapped coil (ignition source) rubbed against the crankshaft spindle and took a good bit of grinding and refitting to get the correct clearance but then created clearance issues with the flywheel (more grinding). Now I'm wondering what will happen if the air gap is incorrect between the pickup and the flywheel magnets. I have a spare OEM stator so swapping it will tell me if this is really the problem, but what happens if the air gap is not right? Too close and it should ground out, what about too far?

Take that junk stator and trash it! Get an oem one. We have ranted about rm and Rickey stators being junk.

Do the following in these steps.....

(1) carefully revolve the RM stator
(2) gently place the stator on the ground
(3) get yourself a good pair of boots
(4) stomp the chit out of that piece of sweat shop junk
(5) never buy another one
(6) warn others about buying them

We have beat this topic to death trying to save people money and frustration. I have seen MULTIPLE bad RM STATORS right out of the box. Sucks that you wasted $40 but I could be worse. Get yourself a used OEM one.

Reactions: Awk08
If the air gap is too large it will affect the electrical flux which may cause a insufficient energy transfer between magnets and coil!

I think the main problem is the RM junk.

Do the following in these steps.....

(1) carefully revolve the RM stator
(2) Forcibly throw the stator on the ground
(3) get yourself a good heavy hammer
(4) hammer the chit out of that piece of sweat shop junk
(4a) post it back to the supplier with postage payable on delivery!
(5) never buy another one
(6) warn others about buying them

I took the liberty to edit Wife's post!

Reactions: Awk08
Yup, it was the stator. With the stocker back on it runs fine. It looks like there's still some clearance issues so I'll do some more grinding and measuring to see if I can figure it out.

And I agree... RM Stator = JUNK. Stay away!