Possible jetting issue....take 2

Oct 30, 2017
Ok guys, so I've been doing ALOT of messing around with different size jets, air screw adjustments, and now I'm puzzled. Maybe it' the weather or the airbox but I could be wrong. It' around 30-40 degrees here in Chicago Illinois (not sure if elevation) and I'm running a 320 main, stock pilot, needle clip in the 3rd position, stock airbox but no snorkel on it, and carb still has tors brick but tors is disconnected. As I said, maybe it' the weather, but I'm running into issues where I'll let the bike warm up for around 5 minutes, and I'll go to check the throttle response, and when I rev it, it doesn't come down insanely fast but it comes down, but it hands a tad bit then comes down. I'e tried adjusting the air screw anywhere from 1 turn to 1 3/4 turns and I'm still having the same issue. I remember seeing someone on here post this and I used this as a guide
Screenshot_20171211-160055.png
even after doing so, still having the same issue. Revs up, comes down from the rev, hangs a tad bit after it comes almost all the way down, then goes to normal. I am ruling out an air leak right off the bat. I'e checked for leaks and evem did the old spray test and sprayed down EVERYTHING and came back with no bubbles or leaking air, so it makes me think jetting. Do I need to change up my pilot, or do y'll think I need to switch up the needle clip position? Orrrrr should u remove the airbox lid? Hanging idle is a lean condition most of the time. If I'm not getting enough fuel and too much air, or the colder temps are causing a lean condition, then would moving the needle position do the trick? This whole jetting thing has become really troublesome lately. It' gonna show Sunday and I plan on trail riding in it so I want to get this hopefully figured out. Sorry for boring y'all lol. Thanks for any help in advance

Try box lid, did you remove tors correct?
I was thinking about removing the lid but I' already in a lean condition and it' suppose to get colder by Sunday. Wouldn' I need more fuel to correct the lean condition? And yes in positive I did it right. Removed correct wires, the switch in the throttle cover, and capped off the little opening on the carb with a vacuum nipple and a zip tie

Try box lid, did you remove tors correct?
Well now I'm in an evem bigger predicament! I pulled my carb and went to pull out the 2 screws for the slide needle, and one of the screws the head is completely stripped out! Guess that's a good enough excuse to get my new carb and throttle cable and do away with the pesky tors brick :p

Have you done a leak down test ??
Even a little bit of a leak could be your problem.
Also check that the slide/cable/throttle isn't sticking
To lean of a pilot. Go up one size. Problem solved.
Lol I don' want to lean it lol, I'm already in a lean condition (hence the hanging throttle) I need to go richer. But from what I've seen Awk and some other guys post, the 32.5 pilot should be more than plenty.

To lean of a pilot. Go up one size. Problem solved.
I tried to drop my needle position last night down 1 from the center position and one of the two screws that hold it in there the head is stripped out. So now I guess thats a good enough excuse to get a fresh carb and do away with the tors brick evem though my tors is disconnected

You ok this morning? I said,,,,To lean of a pilot. Go up one size. Problem solved...... Your response,,,,,,Lol I don' want to lean it lol, I'm already in a lean condition (hence the hanging throttle) I need to go richer. But from what I've seen Awk and some other guys post, the 32.5 pilot should be more than plenty.

Going up one size would richen it. Has nothing to do with the needle clip position. It is physically a bigger jet. Also I don't play with small ass stock carbs but you are in 30 degree weather. Not many run their blasters in those temps. I still stand by what I told you to do. Go up one size on the pilot and see how it feels. You may thank me later.

You ok this morning? I said,,,,To lean of a pilot. Go up one size. Problem solved...... Your response,,,,,,Lol I don' want to lean it lol, I'm already in a lean condition (hence the hanging throttle) I need to go richer. But from what I've seen Awk and some other guys post, the 32.5 pilot should be more than plenty.

Going up one size would richen it. Has nothing to do with the needle clip position. It is physically a bigger jet. Also I don't play with small ass stock carbs but you are in 30 degree weather. Not many run their blasters in those temps. I still stand by what I told you to do. Go up one size on the pilot and see how it feels. You may thank me later.
Omg lol. I need more coffee :rolleyes::rolleyes: totally didn't see the "a" in there haha. As for the stock carb, I was thinking Abbott going to a flat slide carb but the jetting is different numbers and I'm already use to the stock 28mm mikuni lol. What's the next size up from a 32.5? Isn't it a 35?

Omg lol. I need more coffee :rolleyes::rolleyes: totally didn't see the "a" in there haha. As for the stock carb, I was thinking Abbott going to a flat slide carb but the jetting is different numbers and I'm already use to the stock 28mm mikuni lol. What's the next size up from a 32.5? Isn't it a 35?
You are actually using a 26mm stock blaster carb. I believe Banshee's came with the 28's. You can get a 28mm carb from almost any dirt bike and make it work but obviously need needles,jets etc depending on what it comes with. Mikuni makes a 28mm,32mm,34mm etc carb. Keihin makes 26pe,28pe/pwk,34pj,35pwk etc

Reactions: ProjectBlasturd
Also a tid bit of info for cold weather jetting. Cold weather conditions require the richest carb jet settings. Why? because cold air condenses allowing more air into the engine than warm conditions where air expands allowing less air into engines.

You are actually using a 26mm stock blaster carb. I believe Banshee's came with the 28's. You can get a 28mm carb from almost any dirt bike and make it work but obviously need needles,jets etc depending on what it comes with. Mikuni makes a 28mm,32mm,34mm etc carb. Keihin makes 26pe,28pe/pwk,34pj,35pwk etc
Holy hell I need to wake up LOL. I meant a 26mm LOL. But yeah, I was talking to Ken O'Connor and I told him about how the temps are pretty cold here right now and he told me around a 300 or a 320 main jet sounded about right for the temp conditions.

But yeah, I'll just order a 35 pilot jet and keep running my 320 main jet see how that does. But I can't move the needle clip position because one of the screw heads and stripped inside the slide. So that gives me an excuse to get a new carb that already has the idle screw on it so that way I can get rid of the Tors brick LOL

Cut a notch in the screw to use a regular screwdriver to remove, use a smaller 10 point socket and a rubber mallet to beat it over the screw to remove, easy outs, etc Lots of ways to save that carb over one bad screw. You already want to buy a new one,can't hurt trying to remove that one. I say try and fix and save your $ for the next mod.

Cut a notch in the screw to use a regular screwdriver to remove, use a smaller 10 point socket and a rubber mallet to beat it over the screw to remove, easy outs, etc Lots of ways to save that carb over one bad screw. You already want to buy a new one,can't hurt trying to remove that one. I say try and fix and save your $ for the next mod.
LOL well I'd really not want to stick a flat tip screwdriver down in there and start hammering on the screw to get a notch in it and end up messing up the slide and the needle in the process. Especially if I am going to try to save money on having to get a new carb lol. I have already told myself I'm not going to go crazy putting money into this bike anyway lol. All of m6 money goes into the real money pit, my TRX 450R haha. That's my 2nd girlfriend :D

Reactions: DUALSTROKE
Honda: Had One Never Did Again
Highly Overpriced Needing Dads Assistance

Just saying lol
Sorry I had to
LMFAO!!! I'e had lots of Honda's over the years lol. Started of with a 250r ATC! My Honda Believe It or Not doesn't really give me too many problems. But you are right about one thing, the parts are expensive as hell! Especially for a 2015 lmao

Reactions: DUALSTROKE
I'm just not a big 4 joke guy. I do love the atc's,and the cr's tho. Miss my old cr500 I had years ago. Although they are literally to much power for trails, but one BA bike. I plan to get my youngest a older cr80 this year coming. I rode mine everywhere when I was a kid and it was old trusty.

Have you done a leak down test ??
Even a little bit of a leak could be your problem.

I highly recommend a leak down test or you may be needing more than a new carb :rolleyes:
Someone posted a link to a 28mikuni flat slide and description said it used standard Mikuni Jets.

I also suggest you look at a diagram of the different throttle opening and what jet affects it, such as the needle controls half to about 3/4 throttle. And each jet overlaps to the next.