revs up on its own??

2g00d4u

Apr 22, 2010
Smithville, ON, Canada
so, I stopped my Blaster at an intersection, and it was idling perfectly, then it started to rev up ALL the way on its own, it just kept going higher and the kill switch wouldn't work.
I had to pop the clutch and stall it.

anyone know how to fix??

probably an air leak. check the head gasket, base gasket, reed cage gasket, and the top of the carb. also make sure the carb is clean along with the petcock

Reactions: 'blanshee'man
Gonna sound stupid but you didnt run out of fuel did you?

Thats exactly what happens when you start running out of fuel on one of these things.

Hmm haven't had that happen to me, mine usualy starts bogging down and peters out. Also I would start tracing wires, sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere if the killswitch doesn't work.

Well, to elaborate, on mine, if Im idling and it runs out of gas, it will shoot the RPMS off, but killing it with the killswitch turns it right off.

However, if youre riding it, it will just start petering out and die.

But if youre idling, it will surge. Or at least mine will.

It's not electrical and you didn't run out of gas. It's an air leak. Check your stator side crank seal as well as all your carb connections. The same thing happened to mine. My crank seal was gone and one of the rubber plugs in my case was missing so it was sucking air like crazy. I tinkered with it for awhile trying to figure out what it was and ran it some like that. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT run it for long until you find out where the leak is. I fixed mine and a week later it died and wouldn't start. Guess why! NO COMPRESSION! I pulled the top end and the piston and cylinder are f*cked! So good luck. Hope I helped.

Reactions: 'blanshee'man
i did leave out the crank seal though.....but an air leak is the problem, it wouldn't be a problem with the slide sticking since it took off from idle. it may have built enough heat to diesel, and thats why the killswitch didn't work. if that's not the case then you have two separate problems

i hate when an engine revs to the moon and you have to pull the spark plug and then get shocked

cmon guys you should know this... when it revs like that and you hit the kill switch and it dont shut off, hit the throttle to wide open and it will die

from me reading this,c more than once, start with the simple stuff, clean carb and jets, inspect the intake boot ( carb to reed cage) for cracks or rips, check head and base gaskets for leaks ( oilly muck) around there mating surfaces, pull fuel line off petcock and open it to make sure fuel flows out good...