Rental Storage Unit

burndout

Jan 23, 2011
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I plan on getting a new place next month, right now im paying just under $800 a month for my apartment with a garage and am currently building up my credit for a mortgage loan.

Here in Tulsa, OK you cannot find a rental house less than that and not live on the other side of the tracks. My question - has anyone ever or known anyone to use a rented storage unit like a garage. When I say this I mean how does the electric work, do you have to pay an additional fee or do they charge the bill directly? Are there noise rules?

I've searched around Goog and can't really find anything on how the electric works nor do they have it listed that each unit has power. Any thoughts?

The only think I can tell you is to call the local places and ask. I've not seen any storage units with electric outlets.

i have been using a 10x25 unit for about 8 months now and it works out great for me so far. most places dont mind any noise but for electricity you usually need to use a lightbulb holder that screws in and has a plug on it and they dont charge for electricity. The unit i found was a "damaged" unit and a contracter had it before that had installed wall outlets and shelves and lights with a switch. i dont know how i ran into it but im glad i told the guy that worked there what i was trying to do and so he showed it to me. most places however dont let you store anything flammable like gas but luckily where i am they are lax and havent said a word to me even after riding through the place testing the jetting out.. hehe. best bet is like dakota said and call around and see because every place is going to be a little different.

You guys have given me HOPE! I went apartment searching today and found nothing, one guy ( office manager ) actually asked me to approximate SQFT of the garage, after that he said oh, well that will be $30 more than what I quoted, I thought it was smaller. I straight walked out of the complex and left. Another place could not keep their story straight, first said the carpet was new and then said it was only 2 years old, said the house was a 3 bedroom - I didnt know that putting a bed in the dinning area counts as an extra room "but only if you wanted to". I'm calling every storage place I can on Tuesday, thanks for the input fellas.

me and a few friends use to rent a storage / garage unit for a few years. it was pretty fun. also made a room in it with ac. it ended up being a place to crash for one of us most of the time. those where the days. if you could find a friend or 2 with the same needs it will make it cheaper and more fun. just remember TRUST is huge when it comes to you tools and toys