removing head studs

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
So I'm trying to get the head studs out of an extra cylinder I have and can't get any of them unscrewed. The ones on my other cylinder have a square on top for a wrench to fit on. These do not. I tried vice grips and also tried putting two nuts on it and using one as a jam nut and trying to do it like that. That didn't work either. How do I get these out?
IMG513.jpg

That's what they look like

the 2 nut trick always works for me. spray them with some penetrating lube and give it another shot...

If all else fails you could weld something to the top that you can turn them with and the heat alone will losen them,

OK ill spray them with some penetrating oil then try the 2 nut trick again and if that fails ill just weld a nut to the top of it and hopefully the heat combined with a way of being able to turn it will break it loose.

It is possible to purchase a stud remover, but the two nut trick has always worked for me.

When locking the nuts, hold the top one and back the lower one up to it to lock.

When attempting to remove fit the wrench on the lower nut and turn it.

On the jam nut removal. I have put 3 boxed end wrenches, one on each nut, and set them to where I was squeezing them together as I turn the stud out. If it's got lok-tite on it heating the heat to about 300 degrees will help it let go.