Remove rust and dull spots from exhausts and other metal surfaces for under $5 !

Nov 5, 2011
Rochester, NY
Alright so I figured I'd post this cheap and easy DIY for removing rust and stubborn tarnished/dull spots from your exhaust, hubs, brake calipers, and most of the other metal parts/surfaces on your fourwheeler or dirtbike. Im sure some of you might have thought about doing this or even done this already, but I wanted to share this idea and my results for anyone that hasn't thought of it and those that may have been skeptical of the outcome. Aright so for this DIY you need a drill, which most people already own or at least have family or friends that own a drill that you can hopefully borrow. And you also need a wire wheel ( also known as a wire brush ) for the drill. I got one that was normally for removing paint from metal and wood surfaces at Home Depot for under $5 that worked perfect. Now you obviously put your wire wheel in your drill and begin removing the rust from whatever surface you want to clean/restore. The wire wheel may seem too abrasive like it would put scratches or gouges in your exhaust, hubs, calipers etc. but its only removing the top surface layer of the metal and will be smoothe to the touch when your done. Sand/brush evenly to get an even finish. This process is pretty simple and the results are awesome ! This is a good easy way to restore/improve the look of your machine and great results can be acheived even if you've never sanded or used a drill in your life. Just take your time, have fun and enjoy the new improved look when your done !

Reactions: NOVIS
If ya get the brass bristle wire wheel is much easier on the metal, and leaves a brighter finish than the stainless or steel bristle wheel! Then grab some mother polish and boooyah! bling to the max!

Haha sometime its the most simple stuff that we don't think of. Good add on slick, I'm gonna try that mother's polish to add a little more shine to the finish of the metal, the more shine the better ! And I just made an album in my profile with pictures to show some of the results on my exhaust, brakes, hubs, and TORS brick for you yamaha28, as well as for anyone that might want to see the outcome before trying this.

I'll tell you guys what is an absolutely mind blowing rust removal product. It's Evapo-Rust. It is non-toxic, does not take off paint, and if I had pictures I'd show ya. Lets put it this way... I had a pair of Vacuum grip Snap-on pliers my grandpa had left accidently in a bowl exposed to the elements for about 27 yrs. I found them, and decided I'd try this stuff... The Pliers actually function now! It is alittle expensive, next time I go to the store I'll get some. :D

There is one downside, it can leave a "blackened" look to the metal but the company ensures that this is harmless.

I used it on a rusty primary drive/balancer shaft several months ago and the engine is running like a top today.

I'll tell you guys what is an absolutely mind blowing rust removal product. It's Evapo-Rust. It is non-toxic, does not take off paint, and if I had pictures I'd show ya. Lets put it this way... I had a pair of Vacuum grip Snap-on pliers my grandpa had left accidently in a bowl exposed to the elements for about 27 yrs. I found them, and decided I'd try this stuff... The Pliers actually function now! It is alittle expensive, next time I go to the store I'll get some. :D

There is one downside, it can leave a "blackened" look to the metal but the company ensures that this is harmless.

I used it on a rusty primary drive/balancer shaft several months ago and the engine is running like a top today.

Thanks for that info. I:I