Rear wheel alignment problems!

LandRocket

Mar 9, 2014
New york state
I tightened my chain up recently & noticed before touching anything that the left wheel looking farther fwd & the right wheel look farther back, Not by much barley enough to even notice unless you look. I tryed to align it better when i tightend the chain with adjuster bolts, & it still doesnt seem to help & the chain is really tight. I noticed that when i try to pull the left wheel back "the same side that the chain" is on the chain gets really tight, almost as if the chain isnt allowing it to move back any farther than it already is.

Can anybody give me any tips on solving this problem?, ive noticed the sprocket needs to be aligned alittle better aswell but i cant move it back any farther if the chain is Tight as possible. Do i need a bigger chain? Am i forgetting something?, i know i have to losen the 2 bolts that are hiddin behind the sprocket then use the adjusters & so on. Its been on my nerves for the past few days & i cant figure it out. Id like to fix it before Sprocket ware, wheel ware, etc happens more than it already has. Thanks!

start over again,
loosen everything, carrier bolts and adjusters the whole way out, push the bottom of the carrier forward as far as you can.
turn both adjusters in until they just touch the swinger, then count the turns it takes on the chain side to tighten the chain to spec. then turn the other side the same number of turns.
count the threads left sticking out, or measure the bolt length sticking out to determine if they're the same.
adjust the brake side to match the chain side, as it was already adjusted to chain spec.

start over again,
loosen everything, carrier bolts and adjusters the whole way out, push the bottom of the carrier forward as far as you can.
turn both adjusters in until they just touch the swinger, then count the turns it takes on the chain side to tighten the chain to spec. then turn the other side the same number of turns.
count the threads left sticking out, or measure the bolt length sticking out to determine if they're the same.
adjust the brake side to match the chain side, as it was already adjusted to chain spec.

i noticed it doesnt move very much and i can mainly move the wheels side to side when the bolts are lose, it suppose it moves forward & backwards but not very much, am i missing bolts maybe?

i noticed it doesnt move very much and i can mainly move the wheels side to side when the bolts are lose, it suppose it moves forward & backwards but not very much, am i missing bolts maybe?

the bottom carrier bolt pivots in the curved groove cut into the swinger ears, the top does not move.
use a big screwdriver slid between the bottom bolt tube and the carrier to help pry the bottom forward.
it's best to have the rear tires up off the ground.

the bottom carrier bolt pivots in the curved groove cut into the swinger ears, the top does not move.
use a big screwdriver slid between the bottom bolt tube and the carrier to help pry the bottom forward.
it's best to have the rear tires up off the ground.

ill give it a try how far forward should it more Atleast? 1-2 inches?

ill give it a try how far forward should it more Atleast? 1-2 inches?

the bottom rotates in further than you'd think, the bottom curved slot the bolt ride in as like 3-4 inches long, IIRC

ok so once i losen the two bolts hidden behind sprocket & losen the adjustesters it should move forward with the matter of pushing/prying it fwd?

i tryed your advice awk it moved alot and i got my chain perfect!, the only problem is my left rear weel still looks like its more forward than it should be by alittle bit. Idk if you can tell in my profile picture but the left rear tire is a bit more forward than it should be thats a recent picture, Maybe my rear axle is bent??? :(

Are carrier and swingarm brgs good?
If axle was bent you'ld probably feel it riding. Plus sometimes that wheel would be further forward, sometimes not

It is pretty hard to tell by sight if the axle is in line due to the swingarm offset, it can create an optical illusion that one wheel is more forward.

Correct rear axle adjustment is to ensure that the chain aligns with the sprockets, the chain must be aligned so that it comes onto the sprockets so as to promote no wear.

If the swingarm or frame is bent, or the bearings are bad it will crab and the steering will correct it to go in a straight line.

If the chain and sprockets are out of line they will be damaged by side thrust.

i think carrier is bent, my sprocket has alittle ware from the chain not riding on it correctly, Aghhh this is a pain.. its so hard to tell whats bent and whats not.

Adjust the axle to lessen the wear on the chain and sprockets, adjust it so that the chain runs true.

If the carrier is bent the steering will compensate, and the crabbing of the bike will not be very noticeable.