Rear Brake Options

wwholden

Nov 17, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
My blaster came with the old cable driven rear caliper. Im wanting to switch to a rear hydro setup. However come to find out Ill be dropping at least 100 bucks in a stock hydro system for the blaster. I know that the stock system uses the same pads as my raptor and they just dont last. I have herd of people using street bike calipers. Why? pads last longer or something? Please shed some light so that I spend my money wisely if theres a better option.

You need an Awk08 GSXR rear brake kit.Awsome stopping power that won't fade with hard use. The kit comes with all you need and Awk08 has great costumer service. There's a link in my sig to the review thread of this kit.
http://www.blasterforum.com/miscellaneous-parts-154/awk08-gsxr-brakes-43258/?highlight=Gsxr+brake

Quoted for the truth !

I've got 3 blasters and 3 of awk's brakes. None of the blasters have front brakes but awk's rears work so good that the front's aren't needed .

Quoted for the truth !

I've got 3 blasters and 3 of awk's brakes. None of the blasters have front brakes but awk's rears work so good that the front's aren't needed .

How can that be? Most of your braking power is always in the front. My raptors rear hydro I'm sure is similar to the blaster since they share the same pads. But it's not hard at all to lock up the rear tires. I don't see the purpose of a higher performance bike caliper having any more braking power than the stock.

Luv those AWKster brakes! Too bad my 05 can't get them- solid rotor (non sliding)!

I'm running the GSXR brake with my Banshee axle. I have not rode it a lot so I don't know what the long term out come will be. It still stops great but may have faster pad wear. I'll keep this subject updated come spring.

So is there any option for a shorter brake line. I don't like the idea of the extra line like that.

So is there any option for a shorter brake line. I don't like the idea of the extra line like that.

yes there are options for shorter lines, i run a 21" braided SS line from my master to caliper on my +2 swinger

this place will make you any length you want, with any fitting combo needed
i have a 21"/red/fittings H&H/ fitting oreintation A

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

5222-clipboard01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok thanks for the info. So is the caliper on the gsxr 600, 750, 1000 all the same? Wont matter which one I get? What master cylinder you using?

I can tell you that AWK's brakes are awesome! Just spend the $185 and be done with it. You'll have them on in less then 15 minutes and they look bad ass. They will be worth the money!

View attachment 5660

basically i am looking for anyone to submit a picture this setup with an AWK brake on it.

i posted mine because ....is it me or does my rotor look wayyy tooo close to the carrier. i need to get back to you on measurement

thats the typical banshee set-up, and has been done a few times, and it will work

thats the typical banshee set-up, and has been done a few times, and it will work

just to be clear this pic is a 2000 blaster carrier with the banshee hub/rotor

and all i am just really hoping to see is the pic and feedback from BLASTERDOM or others that have done it.... where are youuuuu:eek:

My blaster came with the old cable driven rear caliper. Im wanting to switch to a rear hydro setup. However come to find out Ill be dropping at least 100 bucks in a stock hydro system for the blaster. I know that the stock system uses the same pads as my raptor and they just dont last. I have herd of people using street bike calipers. Why? pads last longer or something? Please shed some light so that I spend my money wisely if theres a better option.

$100 for a stock hydro brake set up is pretty good, I would jump on it.
There is the issue of fixed vs floating rotor (disk).
Blaster cable brakes uses floating rotor, fixed caliper,
Blaster stock Hydro uses fixed rotor, floating caliper.

I used a Warrior floating caliper (I believe the same as stock Blaster hydro caliper) on my older Blaster with its floating disk by using a steel adaptor to mount the caliper solidly to the axle carrier.

544788_10150946178920803_837951819_n.jpg

Removed the slider pins and bracket.
Unbolted it at the park brake block.
The 1/4" steel bar sandwiches under the park brake block.
The lower "tang" hanging off the carrier is from a floating 250 Ninja brake I ran earlier:

600431_10151004901825803_719854277_n.jpg

I still have this and could sell it if you wanted to run a fixed disk like on later axle.

Rear master cylinder can use any rear cylinder really:

225418_10150236711790803_6819020_n.jpg

Notice the lever is extended front and back, NEEDED. Leverage is an issue.

576309_10150946179840803_1788770621_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I finished my banshee set up, I should have just bought awks kit! I found a banshee set on ebay shipped for 72 and could not pass it up. Couldn't get my adapter bracket as precise as I wanted it so ended up buying an 03 rear end. I was a lot of work getting every thing fabbed especialy with my patience level and work load.

I put 91 ktana 600 rear brake setup on my 91 blaster. The floating disc is pushing the pistons in so far with the machine stopped with the front brakes you have to pump the rear brake about 5 times to get pad grip. Can any one help with this.

I put 91 ktana 600 rear brake setup on my 91 blaster. The floating disc is pushing the pistons in so far with the machine stopped with the front brakes you have to pump the rear brake about 5 times to get pad grip. Can any one help with this.

You need to bleed the system, Probably the master cylinder need bleed!