rear axle grease fitting

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
hey guys, and girls??
does anyone see a problem with me drilling some holes in the bearing spacer, that the axle goes thru, to allow grease to get in there, to keep water out, i just received my new bearings and seals today, and added a grease fitting to the axle carrier, and remember reading that you should remove the inner bearing seal to allow the grease from the zerk to get into the bearing from inside, but it looks like this spacer may limit this, so had a brainfart to drill some holes in it??? good idea or not????

15yz0wl.jpg

The spacer rides against the inner bearing race. So when you drill for the grease zerk it will just go into the bearing if you pull out the inner seals. Works good.

thanx guys for the great advice, ready to reassemble :)

I might try the same thing on the ball joints. You would have to find some type of ball joints to weld in, or buy new a arms if they fail. It's stupid just like cars some are serviceable, some aren't.

They sell a needle that goes on the grease run hose to use on ball joints with no jerk. You just poke the needle threw the boot and pump the grease.

what if i added a grease zerk to the axle tube without dissasembly? my bearings sound dry/crunchy when i spun it w/o the chain on and would like to repack them without pulling the whole axle apart

would it be safe to assume the inner seals are shot therefore allowing the grease to file the bearings from the inside?

what if i added a grease zerk to the axle tube without dissasembly? my bearings sound dry/crunchy when i spun it w/o the chain on and would like to repack them without pulling the whole axle apart

would it be safe to assume the inner seals are shot therefore allowing the grease to file the bearings from the inside?

if you can get the outer carrier seal off without damaging it ?? you may be able to pull the bearing seal and clean/regrease them, but chances are if you hear crunching sounds, the bearings themselves are shot, and if you don't replace them, expect to be walking home from the trails

Rear Axle Bearings and Seals Kit Yamaha Blaster YFS200 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 | eBay

Last edited by a moderator:

That noise is the bearings telling you they are now shot and that there is no other option but to replace them! :)
Once you get that dry/crunchy sound/feeling, the bearings are toast. Need replacement. Grease is too late at this point.
They are very soon to leave you unable to push it home.

Bearings and seals are off-the-shelf items at an industrial supply house. About $20 for the 2 bearings and 2 seals, not much more at your bike shop.
You will need 2 18" adjustable(NOT pipe wrench), 50mm, or 2" wrenches,
or you can make these: http://www.blasterforum.com/custom-fabbing-132/axle-nut-wrenches-49013/.

541754_10151068882235803_569727182_n.jpg

166871_10150134021280803_1278445_n.jpg

The largest damage to the bearings is water getting in, so the largest help of the grease fitting is pushing any water out.
If you only ride in dry areas, I wouldn't bother with the grease fitting. Save the mess of a pound of grease in the tube.
New seals and bearings will last several years even in the wet. I really like the idea of greasing the swingarm pivots however.

if you can get the outer carrier seal off without damaging it ?? you may be able to pull the bearing seal and clean/regrease them, but chances are if you hear crunching sounds, the bearings themselves are shot, and if you don't replace them, expect to be walking home from the trails

Rear Axle Bearings and Seals Kit Yamaha Blaster YFS200 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 | eBay

Tanks for the link. Since I have my rear end off I figured I may as well put some new bearings in there. Never hurts to try to stay ahead of trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
This baby was noisy and was packed full of grease, it was amongrel to take apart because the balls were jamming the tube.

Replace yours before they explode.

1hwdax.jpg

If you are fitting a grease zerk or packing the carrier full of grease you need to remove the inner seal from the bearing.

I never add extra grease to any bearing, in my experience I have never found it nessesary, but if it floats your boat , do so.

There are for, and against arguments, both have merits, in the long run it is your choice.

I am not prepared to enter into discussion about adding grease as it could start a hornets nest.