Ready to set this thing on fire

ChrisZx7

May 15, 2012
Rochester, Ny
I cannot get the jetting right in this blaster. Tried 42/45/48/50 pilot, doesnt matter where airscrew is. Will start up barely with throttle 3/4-full open. Anything below it wont.

When it does start, does it seem rich or lean?

Does the choke make any difference when running?

Is it leak free and have good compression?

Does it have good gas flow or is it flooding?

Have you tried a new plug?

Will it start if you atomise some fuel into the carb throat?

What have you done to try to fix the starting problem other than swap the pilot and fiddle with the air screw?

When it does start, does it seem rich or lean?

Does the choke make any difference when running?

Is it leak free and have good compression?

Does it have good gas flow or is it flooding?

Have you tried a new plug?

Will it start if you atomise some fuel into the carb throat?

What have you done to try to fix the starting problem other than swap the pilot and fiddle with the air screw?

Its a brand new engine, everything including carb. Had a 48 pilot for cold weather, was bogging at low rpms while taking daughter around yard. Decided to try 45, no go, then went up more, down more, not working.

Is this a new build, or just different carb? Sounds like either air leak in carb or idle circut passage in carb is plugged. Try blowing air through pilot jet and see if it comes out in carb bore.

Is this a new build, or just different carb? Sounds like either air leak in carb or idle circut passage in carb is plugged. Try blowing air through pilot jet and see if it comes out in carb bore.

Ive tried 5x diff BRAND NEW pilot jets. Nothing works. Just went down to a 45 again, sick and tired of taking carb off and wasting gas. Throwing blaster in back of garage and forgetting about it. Pissed off right now.

Usually if you have to give it throttle to fire up, it is too rich.

Has the carb shipped any crap?

Have you adjusted the float?

Could the carb have suffered trauma in the freighting?

your not supposed to have to give it gas for it to start? ussually at the same time i kick it i give it about 1/4th throttle

Last edited:

The bike ran fine. I changed jet because of warmer weather. Float height is correct.

set the choke knob idle adjustment a couple turns from bottom
use the throttle cable adjustments, at the throttle and/or on top of the carb, to hold the slide open just slightly.
then use the choke knob idle adjustment to fine tune it.

seems these 250r PJ's have the wrong slide cutaway for blasters, holding it open slightly helps.

set the choke knob idle adjustment a couple turns from bottom
use the throttle cable adjustments, at the throttle and/or on top of the carb, to hold the slide open just slightly.
then use the choke knob idle adjustment to fine tune it.

seems these 250r PJ's have the wrong slide cutaway for blasters, holding it open slightly helps.

What jets should i start with?

i ran a 45 pilot, airscrew around 1.5 turns for highest idle, a DGH needle on middle clip and 155 main for years.
thats with my trinity right bend, any lefty except the toomey should require leaner jetting.

after this last round of porting i had to bump the pilot to a 48 to achieve high idle under 2 turns out on the airscrew,
needle stayed the same, but i'm thinking that needle clip needs raised 1 position to lean it a little, as the mids really came to life this year when the temps dropped into the 40's ?

i'm at 1800+ ft. elevation, sea level should require around 2 sizes bigger on the main and an airscrew adjustment in to richen it. possibly a needle clip move, but i didn't in 2010 when i went to busco, and it ran fine.

using the throttle cable to slightly lift the slide is the only way i can get mine to idle, that choke knob is the most ridiculous idle adjustment ever dreamed up.

wifesblaster just changed a slide out to the next bigger cutaway and had good results, at the suggestion of carb parts warehouse