polaris xplorer 300 2 stroke wont start

Conner Jones

Dec 16, 2018
You guys have helped me so much with my blaster, so I figured I would see if you could help me on this one. I have an old 2 stroke polaris xplorer 300 that i can't get running right. It used to run great a few weeks ago. Then the starter went bad, so it sat for a week until i got the new starter in. I had to remove the beltcase and also the flywheel on the other side of the motor, so that I could get the new starter motor and gear in. Then I put everything back together, and it doesnt want to fire up. I looked in the carb, and the jets are clean and everything. Sometimes you can get it to run if you hold the throttle wide open and start it, but it barely revs like its bogging real bad. Then if you slightly let off the throttle it immediately dies. I tried adjusting the air screw but that didn't help. I dont know what couldve changed for it to do this. Also if you spray carb cleaner into the intake, it revs up quite a bit.

Did you get the keyway alinged with flywheel and shaft ?
that's what holds the flywheel in time so it sparks at the correct time

How do i know if it is all alligned properly? I just put the flywheel back on and then put the woodruf key in the little slot. I never had to remove the actual stator, just the flywheel.

Last edited:
This thing must have a straight key way.Usually you put the key on the crank.make sure it is im all the way.and straight
Then put flywheel on and tourqe to spec.

This thing must have a straight key way.Usually you put the key on the crank.make sure it is im all the way.and straight
Then put flywheel on and tourqe to spec.
Yeah i put the key in all the way and put the flywheel on and torqued it down.

The plug is not wet. I do not think the exhaust is plugged up because I can feel air coming out when I turn over the motor. But I don't know for sure, how would I tell.

I had a LT80 that was a pain to start. It would fire up with throttle fully engaged. Eventually I figured that the throttle cable was not allowing the slide to open up and get the air/fuel mix to enter combustion chamber. Once properly adjusted, she fired up with a little throttle... just another thing to check. Hope this helps!

I had a LT80 that was a pain to start. It would fire up with throttle fully engaged. Eventually I figured that the throttle cable was not allowing the slide to open up and get the air/fuel mix to enter combustion chamber. Once properly adjusted, she fired up with a little throttle... just another thing to check. Hope this helps!
I checked the throttle to make sure it was opening the slide properly, and it was, but thanks for the suggestion anyways

Throwing ideas out there.if plug is dry after you trying to start iti would check all the fuel delivery system.fresh fuel, remove fuel line from carb .good flow?.flaot valve stuck in closed position?is this not starting reason why starter went bad.?engine turning over fast enough to start?choke working?just some ideas.maybe something like a tors system om that thing?

Check everything you removed or disturbed.something changed if it ran before

I checked all the fuel lines, it everything was good. I know the carb gets fuel because the howl was full of gas. I dont think that the choke is messed up as it worked before and i have not messed with it. The only thing i did was remove the beltcase and clutches to replace the starter motor, and i also removed the flywheel to replace the starter gear, and i put everything back right. I cant figure this out.

Compression was 105 right.pretty low but it should fire.you do have good spark right? You said if you spay carb cleaner is revs higher right.that sounds like a lack of fuel or a good air leak.do you have fresh fuel?you sure you don't have water in the fuel?that carb cleaner is supplementing your lack of fuel it sounds like

Is there any way you could have the timing retarded
I have good spark, it has fresh premix, i know the carb bowl is getting fuel, I have replaced the crank seals because i thought that could be what the problem was but it wasn't, i dont know if I retarded the timing, all i did was pull the flywheel off, so i dont know if that can mess up timing or whatever.

You can see light thru jet holes?reeds sealing good.no cracks, gaps or missing peices?

You can see light thru jet holes?reeds sealing good.no cracks, gaps or missing peices?
Yes, carb was very thoroughly cleaned multiple times, and this 2 stroke was designed without reeds. It has an open intake into the cylinder

Ahh a bike with no reeds.theres your problem.just kidding.the only way to retard the timing would be if you moved the stator plate behind the flywheel.or somehow put the flywheel on wrong .w.with would be hard to do with the keyway in.dry plug still soinds like fuel or a good vacuum leak.unless you don't have enough compression.i would recheck compression .put hand over back side of carb.see what kind of suction you get.then about 80 percent to see if it starts.wd40 would probably be better than carb cleaner.it has lubricating properties.this is a 2stroke