R.I.P. KOR Top End.

I have a feeling that the RTV could have caused a sponging effect and did not allow the cylinder to respond to the diagonal and incremental tensioning sequence need to allow the cylinder to snug down correctly.

If the tension wrench was fooled by the sponging that particular nut may just have been a tad tighter than the rest..

Expansion and contraction then stressed the lug causing it to break.

Reactions: Awk08
Just as a point of interest, how much longer is the crows foot fitting and what did you set the wrench to.

I use a home made 50mm extension and usually pull them down to 16 ft lbs.

Do i notice a silicone sealant between the cylinder and the case.

Did you have issues with the gasket leaking.

Did you over tighten the nuts to get a good seal.

What wrench fitting did you use in conjunction with the tension wrench to tighten the nuts down,
A snap on crows foot. It's got calculations on it to tell you What to set the wrench tot
I have a feeling that the RTV could have caused a sponging effect and did not allow the cylinder to respond to the diagonal and incremental tensioning sequence need to allow the cylinder to snug down correctly.

If the tension wrench was fooled by the sponging that particular nut may just have been a tad tighter than the rest..

Good thought. I'll grab a pic of the crows foot next time I'm at the shop

i'm liking this theory.
the ONLY places ANY sealant should be used on a blaster engine is yamabond between the case halves and copper rtv or yamabond on the intake gaskets.
using it anywhere else is asking for trouble

i'm liking this theory.
the ONLY places ANY sealant should be used on a blaster engine is yamabond between the case halves and copper rtv or yamabond on the intake gaskets.
using it anywhere else is asking for trouble
What about the exhaust header?

What about the exhaust header?

forgot that one, shouldn't need it there but we do.
actually i now use 100% pure silicon tape, lasted all last season :)
but lets not skate around the fact you used it in the worst place possible

forgot that one, shouldn't need it there but we do.
actually i now use 100% pure silicon tape, lasted all last season :)
but lets not skate around the fact you used it in the worst place possible

well i didnt see what a even coat of rtv would hurt but i guess ive learned my lesson
:eek: