Question about the stock 01 blaster bumper..

Blasting

Dec 23, 2012
Narnia
Is it aluminum or steel? I know this is a stupid question.. But I take a metalshop class at my school and I'm a pretty decent welder.. I don't think I am going to do this.. But would it be a bad idea to make my own custom bumper? We have a plasma cutter so i can cut out an awesome design in it and it'd make a great project..

What about nerf bars? Or am I getting a little over my head.. :D

If your confident of your skills and want to do it, go for it. We love to see custom stuff on here. But if i were you i would definitely get it running good first. Get that carby torn down and cleaned, this should solve some of your problems. Next up is a plug chop (search on the forum for info how to do this) and if your jetting turns out lean then it NEEDS to be corrected or you may end up with an expensive paperweight.

If your confident of your skills and want to do it, go for it. We love to see custom stuff on here. But if i were you i would definitely get it running good first. Get that carby torn down and cleaned, this should solve some of your problems. Next up is a plug chop (search on the forum for info how to do this) and if your jetting turns out lean then it NEEDS to be corrected or you may end up with an expensive paperweight.

What does it mean to jet out turns lean? Sorry I'm not really good at this stuff. And I'm defiantly going to get it running good. The guy rode around my driveway 3 times no problem besides the float. And then when I get it I couldn't get it running right.. Unsure why.

Nevermind my dad explained it to me.

Last edited:
What does it mean to jet out turns lean? Sorry I'm not really good at this stuff. And I'm defiantly going to get it running good. The guy rode around my driveway 3 times no problem besides the float. And then when I get it I couldn't get it running right.. Unsure why.

A lean jetting means that there is less fuel in the fuel air mixture that enters the engine than there should be, this is controlled by the carburetor via jets which are small brass screws with different sized holes through them, a bigger jet (bigger hole) will richen the mixture i.e. make the fuel air mixture have slightly more fuel and vice versa.

Lean jetting is bad news for any engine but especially 2 strokes as they rely on the fuel for lubrication of the main engine components.

A lean mixture will cause the engine to do something called seizing which is effectively when the main engine components such as the piston get stuck due to thermal expansion or lack of lubrication which is an expensive situation, not to mention a pain in the butt.

A lean jetting means that there is less fuel in the fuel air mixture that enters the engine than there should be, this is controlled by the carburetor via jets which are small brass screws with different sized holes through them, a bigger jet (bigger hole) will richen the mixture i.e. make the fuel air mixture have slightly more fuel and vice versa.

Lean jetting is bad news for any engine but especially 2 strokes as they rely on the fuel for lubrication of the main engine components.

A lean mixture will cause the engine to do something called seizing which is effectively when the main engine components such as the piston get stuck due to thermal expansion or lack of lubrication which is an expensive situation, not to mention a pain in the butt.

Thanks. You've been a lot of help. Were going to fire it up tomorrow now that my dads home and he's going to tell me if it's jetted or not.

Go for it!! I think that a custom bumper is a awesome school project. I love seeing custom stuff, so dont forget the pics.. lolI:I

Thanks. You've been a lot of help. Were going to fire it up tomorrow now that my dads home and he's going to tell me if it's jetted or not.

No problem, were here to help. The best way for you to tell if its jetted is by doing a plug chop, there is a link to a thread on plug chopping below

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

it is the only real and practical way for the average quad/dirtbike owner to jet their vehicle, there are more complex ways by using AFR meters on dynos but you dont need to worry about that.

Just be sure you follow the instructions in the thread to the very last detail and you will have a reliable plug chop ;)

(your gonna need a few spark plugs before you should attempt this)

Phil

No problem, were here to help. The best way for you to tell if its jetted is by doing a plug chop, there is a link to a thread on plug chopping below

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/how-plug-chop-38674/

it is the only real and practical way for the average quad/dirtbike owner to jet their vehicle, there are more complex ways by using AFR meters on dynos but you dont need to worry about that.

Just be sure you follow the instructions in the thread to the very last detail and you will have a reliable plug chop ;)

(your gonna need a few spark plugs before you should attempt this)

Phil

He was a dirtbike mechanic.. But I don't know.. The bumper probably would make a great project. We have all the right tools to make it.