Pure Smoke after bebuild....

So Im having such a crappy day with my blaster! Finished the rebuild today new piston and rings put everything back together and I have 2 problems so far. It is like pure white smoke pouring out the exhaust and I have an exshaust leak where the front pipe meets the engine.... I only ran it for a few minutes. Im hoping the white smoke was from the 2 stroke oil i lubed the cylinder and rings with. Once again guys any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
white smoke indicates you are burning tranny fluid. 2 stroke oil burns and leaves blue smoke. my guess would be you have a bad crank seal... did you do anything with the bottom end? and y did you put a new top end on in the first place? im guessing the bad crank seal fried the old top end. so dont run it anymore until its resolved

Well I bought it about a month ago and they told me the top end was rebuilt last fall ran a little and parked. It was hard to start so i checked the compression and it was only at like 95PSI. I took off the top end and it was bored out to .10 over but stock piston and rings. It was so sloppy I dont know how it ran before. I had the clutch cover off to replace the kicker shims but now it just smokes like crazy. I didn't touch anything else.

Well least its a good mosquito repeller, if nothing else top it off with 10W40 and ride it around the neighborhood and fog out all the bugs.

If white smoke is burning transmission fluid then its the case seal inbetween the trans and the crankcase or the clutch side crank seal??

Learned this yesterday
Take the crankcase vent line and blow into it, if its easy to blow into and dont blow back when you stop, then your one step more towards figuring it out...

about the easiest test there is.

That has to be a bad crank seal on clutch side of motor that's out. If you replace it and that's not it then your case halves have a leak into the combustion chamber. lol didn't notice ^^ same thing blazed405 already said this.

I have the same problem the engine was rebuilt and bored, but now its smoking like crazy. How do I change a crank seal? I am new to quads

yeah mine did that too after a rebuild definately the seals and tcdave, to change the seals you need to pull the plastic cover off on the left side where the shifter is and loosten the flywheel nut (i use an air impact wrench) and use a puller to take it off. behind that is your seal. you can remove it esily by drilling two holes in it and putting in wood screws and pulling it out.

the right side you start by taking off the kicker then take out the screws holding the clutch cover on. then unscrew the 5 screws on the clutch to take out the springs. take off the pressure plate, take out the clutch plates, and take off the big metal nut on the pushrod. bend the metal retainer thingy on the clutch basket nut to get it out of the way and then take the nut off with the impact wrench. next there is another gear that is in the way thatis next to the clutch, so take that off. the seal is behind the gear closest to the front of the motor on the crankshaft so unscrew the nut that holds it on, take off the plate holding the old seal on and pull it out.

when you put it back together make sure the dots on the clutch basket and pressure plate line up before you put the springs on. also when you put the flywheel back on make sure not to lose the semicircle shaped woodruff key and remember to put it back on or your quad may run backwards when you start it lol.
good luck and hope this helps!!

I heard we ca check by spraying starter fluid on it or something. Where is the crank seal I took off the cover by the shifter

Thanks for the walkthrough im gonna try to do that . I have never tried taking so much of the engine apart before. Aslo you said I need to screw two holes, is that gonna affect me when i put it back together? Also any pics would be extremely helpful.

what he means is screw to small holes into the seals your gonna take out, then thread some wood screws into those holes to aid in removal of the seal. Other than this method, they are nearly impossible to get out without disassembly of the motor. And just drill into the seal not through the seal.