Power

May 18, 2012
Scotland
Hi guys well iv not got my engine torque down just yet as just done a new base gasket with a genuine yamaha one as the paper one is crap.

when i was out on quad 5 months back the quad would rev and move but it wasn't get the exact amount of power its ment to. plus it didn't sound like a 2 stroke as it was sounded dull lol. anyways i found a air leak and that was what the genuine gasket was for. but when i took my cylinder off(each time since iv had it) one of the studs are stuck in the cylinder when it comes off. was wondering if this is torqued down correct would this be fine as long as it was torqued down to the manual specifications ?

cheers

what ?
stud stuck in cylinder ?
the head studs should stay in the cylinder/nuts coms off.
the base studs should stay in the cases/nuts come off.

what ?
stud stuck in cylinder ?
the head studs should stay in the cylinder/nuts coms off.
the base studs should stay in the cases/nuts come off.

3 of them are doing that but the other one isn't.. tried to hold it with a pair of vice grips when it was off but the nut wouldn't come off.

so it's now like a bolt, torqued is torqued, bolt or stud/nut.

i'd get a new stud/nut and green loctite it in, but you should be OK

A picture would solve this in a minute, why not post one?

so the stud is broke off inside the cylinder?

don't currently have one of cylinder but have of the new piston with the view of the studs. one of the nuts is stuck on it though (one thats not on picture obviously lol)

005_zpsf9e39b87.jpg

so it's now like a bolt, torqued is torqued, bolt or stud/nut.

i'd get a new stud/nut and green loctite it in, but you should be OK

yeah man i plan on getting a new one at somepoint anyway :) it will do the now if my engine is throttling fine. if not il need to look further into the problem and il fix it then as iv currently got the cylinder on its just needing torqued down.

Picture(s) please... Lets make sure that "Raffle Head" goes on properly without issues.

added a picture above your post :) and yeah the head will go on a treat :) just to do that head gasket as iv been focusing on these brakes lol but il get gasket done tomorrow or friday as im waiting on stuff coming before i attempt brakes again.

You need to get that nut off or buy a new stud and nut.

The stud with the nut on will not allow enough thread to be inserted into the case and will possibly break out of the case when tourquing it.

If you put 2 nuts on the other end and tighten them toward each other, you should be able to hold the inner nut well enough to get the problem nut off.

The studs should be Loctited into the case, but no Loctite should be used on any nuts, this may be why the nut is stuck on the stud.

thanks guys im trying to find a non running engine to have spares for mine. , anyone know where i can buy studs as il just replace the 4 but cant find ones on ebay.

Might find something at good auto parts store. Bottom end would have to be near exact but top could be longer.

cheers mate going to give yamaha a call tomorrow and see if they are able to get me them. if not il just need to buy the used one just not wanting to pay that for a used one if i can get a new one from yamaha as the postage to uk is more than the stud lol